Author Topic: Celebrity Passings 2019  (Read 985 times)

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
Re: Celebrity Passings 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 05:53:17 pm »
For me, first time I saw him, was a movie with Chief Dan George where he trained to become a shaman. My brothers always talked about him on the Banana Splits segment Danger Island. And he was great on Airwolf of course. RIP Jan.
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Catching  up to TRL for 9th?

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway!

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

DanielO

• Posting Machine
  • Aly Michalka, My New Goddess.
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 07:19:24 pm »
Drummer Hal Blaine—who worked with Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, and the Beach Boys, and founded the seminal recording studio musicians the Wrecking Crew—has died aged 90, his family has announced. Blaine was one of the most recorded musicians in pop music history and played on hits by the Beach Boys, the Carpenters, Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, and The Byrds—and even the theme song to The Brady Bunch. His opening drumbeat on the Ronettes’ 1963 hit “Be My Baby” is one of the most recognizable intros in rock history; he also played on Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over,” Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “California Dreaming” by the Mamas and Papas, and The Byrds’ “Mr. Tambourine Man.” 

From the time I was old enough to read the credits in the album notes, I was amazed at how often I would see "Hal Blaine - drums." He played on everything for everybody. RIP
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 12:40:39 am »
Lawrence G "Larry" DiTillo has passed away after a long illness. He was 79.

A writer of wide extremes, chances are if you watched cartoons in the 1980s or 90s, you've enjoyed some of his work. From He-Man, She-Ra, The Real Ghostbusters, to even a few episodes of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, Larry was well known for his animation work. He also put in serious time in the roleplaying game industry, and with Lynn Willis, he wrote The Masks of Nyarlathotep (1984), a world-spanning campaign for Call of Cthulhu, which is considered one of the best roleplaying adventures of all time, and for which Larry and Lynn won the Origins Award. Beyond that, he wrote episodes of Murder, She Wrote, Deadly Nightmares, and Swamp Thing.

A long-time friend of J. Michael Strazynski, DiTillo has the distinction of being one of the few other writers to work on Babylon 5, penning a stunning 7 episodes (remarkable, considering Strazynski wrote the vast majority of episodes of B5 himself). DiTillo, along with Bob Fordward, also helped reviatlize the flailing Transformers franchise in 1996 when they served as story editors on Beast Wars, one of (if not THE) best written Transformers series ever. 
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 05:48:50 pm »

This is totally streets behind. Richard Erdman, best known as octogenarian college student Leonard on "Community" has passed. He was 93. Erdman worked steadily as a character actor for over 70 years. His credits included episodes of Alice, The Bionic Woman, Cheers, Felicity, Lou Grant, One Day at a Time and Beverly Hills, 90210. He also lent his voice to numerous cartoons, including The Smurfs, DuckTales and Batman: The Animated Series.

Leonard doesn't like this post.
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

DanielO

• Posting Machine
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 08:22:54 pm »
Dick Dale, the King of Surf Guitar, has died at age 81.

*goes off to listen to "Misrilou" again.*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:25:10 pm by DanielO »
Pinky: I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?

DanielO

• Posting Machine
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 07:56:00 pm »
Singer/songwriter David White, one of the original members of Danny & the Juniors, has died at age 79. He was the writer of the group's "Rock and Roll is Here To Stay," one of the earliest, and still one of the best, celebrations of the music itself. He also wrote Leslie Gore's proto-feminist anthem "You Don't Own Me."

"Rock and roll is here to stay,
It will never die.
It was meant to be that way,
Though I don't know why.
I don't care what people say,
Rock and roll is here to stay.

Rock and roll will always be,
I dig it to the end.
It'll go down in history,
Just you watch my friend.
Rock and roll will always be,
It'll go down in history."