Author Topic: Celebrity Passings 2019  (Read 2509 times)

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
Re: Celebrity Passings 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 05:53:17 pm »
For me, first time I saw him, was a movie with Chief Dan George where he trained to become a shaman. My brothers always talked about him on the Banana Splits segment Danger Island. And he was great on Airwolf of course. RIP Jan.
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Catching  up to TRL for 9th?

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway!

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

DanielO

• Posting Machine
  • Aly Michalka, My New Goddess.
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 07:19:24 pm »
Drummer Hal Blaine—who worked with Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, and the Beach Boys, and founded the seminal recording studio musicians the Wrecking Crew—has died aged 90, his family has announced. Blaine was one of the most recorded musicians in pop music history and played on hits by the Beach Boys, the Carpenters, Simon & Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, and The Byrds—and even the theme song to The Brady Bunch. His opening drumbeat on the Ronettes’ 1963 hit “Be My Baby” is one of the most recognizable intros in rock history; he also played on Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over,” Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “California Dreaming” by the Mamas and Papas, and The Byrds’ “Mr. Tambourine Man.” 

From the time I was old enough to read the credits in the album notes, I was amazed at how often I would see "Hal Blaine - drums." He played on everything for everybody. RIP
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 12:40:39 am »
Lawrence G "Larry" DiTillo has passed away after a long illness. He was 79.

A writer of wide extremes, chances are if you watched cartoons in the 1980s or 90s, you've enjoyed some of his work. From He-Man, She-Ra, The Real Ghostbusters, to even a few episodes of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, Larry was well known for his animation work. He also put in serious time in the roleplaying game industry, and with Lynn Willis, he wrote The Masks of Nyarlathotep (1984), a world-spanning campaign for Call of Cthulhu, which is considered one of the best roleplaying adventures of all time, and for which Larry and Lynn won the Origins Award. Beyond that, he wrote episodes of Murder, She Wrote, Deadly Nightmares, and Swamp Thing.

A long-time friend of J. Michael Strazynski, DiTillo has the distinction of being one of the few other writers to work on Babylon 5, penning a stunning 7 episodes (remarkable, considering Strazynski wrote the vast majority of episodes of B5 himself). DiTillo, along with Bob Fordward, also helped reviatlize the flailing Transformers franchise in 1996 when they served as story editors on Beast Wars, one of (if not THE) best written Transformers series ever. 
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 05:48:50 pm »

This is totally streets behind. Richard Erdman, best known as octogenarian college student Leonard on "Community" has passed. He was 93. Erdman worked steadily as a character actor for over 70 years. His credits included episodes of Alice, The Bionic Woman, Cheers, Felicity, Lou Grant, One Day at a Time and Beverly Hills, 90210. He also lent his voice to numerous cartoons, including The Smurfs, DuckTales and Batman: The Animated Series.

Leonard doesn't like this post.
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

DanielO

• Posting Machine
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 08:22:54 pm »
Dick Dale, the King of Surf Guitar, has died at age 81.

*goes off to listen to "Misrilou" again.*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 08:25:10 pm by DanielO »
Pinky: I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?

DanielO

• Posting Machine
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 07:56:00 pm »
Singer/songwriter David White, one of the original members of Danny & the Juniors, has died at age 79. He was the writer of the group's "Rock and Roll is Here To Stay," one of the earliest, and still one of the best, celebrations of the music itself. He also wrote Leslie Gore's proto-feminist anthem "You Don't Own Me."

"Rock and roll is here to stay,
It will never die.
It was meant to be that way,
Though I don't know why.
I don't care what people say,
Rock and roll is here to stay.

Rock and roll will always be,
I dig it to the end.
It'll go down in history,
Just you watch my friend.
Rock and roll will always be,
It'll go down in history."

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 06:39:20 pm »
Denise DuBarry, best known for Black Sheep Squadron, has died at age 63 after a battle with an infection. RIP Denise.

zeusaphone

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Back up in your ass with the resurrection
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 08:46:49 pm »
The Grammy-nominated rapper Nipsey Hussle was killed in a shooting outside his clothing store in Los Angeles on Sunday afternoon
However do you want me?
However do you need me?

InThe313

• CSSA's Official Sports Analyst
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Read "Hellcats: Season 2" now on TSSA!
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 11:26:46 am »
Ron Sweed, known for his late night horror show character The Ghoul that became a beloved fixture on TV in Detroit and his native Cleveland, passed away at 70 on Monday after suffering a massive heart attack five months ago.
We must stand together
(Hey, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
There's no getting even
Hand in hand forever
That's when we all win
That's, that's, that's when we all win

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 12:57:38 pm »
One that slipped by me;

Tania Mallet, who played Tilly Masterson in Goldfinger, died at age 77 on Sunday. RIP Tania.

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 11:13:24 pm »
Body of original Mouseketeer Dennis Day, who has been missing for awhile, may have been found. So far, this has not been fully confirmed, but still needed to be reported.

DanielO

• Posting Machine
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:14 pm »
Prolific actor Seymour Cassel, who received an Academy Award nomination for “Faces” and appeared in Wes Anderson films including “Rushmore,” died Sunday in Los Angeles of Alzheimer’s disease. He was 84.

Cassel was a veteran of dozens of independent films, appearing in multiple roles in films directed by John Cassvetes and Anderson. In addition to playing Bert Fischer in “Rushmore,” he appeared in “The Royal Tenenbaums” and “The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.”

Cassel was born in Detroit on Jan. 22, 1935. His early career was tied to Cassavetes and he made his movie debut in an uncredited role in Cassavetes’ first film, “Shadows,” in 1958 and became an associate producer on the project. He co-starred with Cassavetes in “Too Late Blues” and “The Webster Boy” and appeared on “The Lloyd Bridges Show” in the episode “A Pair of Boots” directed by  Cassavetes. His early TV credits included “Twelve O’Clock High,” “Combat!,” “The F.B.I.” and “Batman” in the episode “A Piece of the Action.”

In 1968, Cassel was nominated for the Academy Award for supporting actor for his role as Chet in Cassavetes’s cinema verite drama “Faces.” He also won a National Society of Film Critics Award for the performance. Other collaborations with Cassavetes included the co-lead with Gena Rowlands in “Minnie and Moskowitz” as a free-spirited parking attendant, “The Killing of a Chinese Bookie,” and “Love Streams.”

He met Anderson through indie director Alexandre Rockwell, who cast Cassel in “In the Soup,” for which he won a Sundance acting prize.

Other feature film credits include “Dick Tracy,” “Tin Men,” “Honeymoon in Vegas,” “Indecent Proposal,” and Steve Buscemi’s directorial debut “Trees Lounge,” followed by Buscemi’s “Animal Factory” and “Lonesome Jim.” Cassel appeared for four seasons in “Tracey Takes On…."

Cassel was also active in the Screen Actors Guild and was a member of the national board. He ran unsuccessfully for president in 2007 and 2009.

He is survived by his three children, Lisa Papciak, Matthew Cassel and Dilyn Cassel Murphy, seven grandchildren, and three great grandchildren.

One of the imperishable Hey-it's-that-guy actors. RIP

DanielO

• Posting Machine
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2019, 06:17:04 pm »
Bibi Andersson, the Swedish actress who starred in classic films by compatriot Ingmar Bergman, including "The Seventh Seal" and "Persona,"has died. She was 83.

For all those here who want to know how to create eroticism with just words, watch Andersson's famous monologue in "Persona," where she recounts a day and night of sex. It's one of the most powerfully erotic scenes ever filmed, and it's just her, talking.

DanielO

• Posting Machine
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2019, 06:27:42 pm »
Actress Georgia Engel, whose winning role on The Mary Tyler Moore Show led to a long career on-screen, has died at age 70. She died on April 12 in Princeton, N.J., her agent confirmed. The cause of death is not known.

From 1972 to 1977, Engel played sweet, artless Georgette, the girlfriend and then wife of arrogant news anchor Ted Baxter. The role had been written just for her, Engel said.

Engel found plenty of television work in the decades that followed The Mary Tyler Moore Show, with recurring roles on Coach, Everybody Loves Raymond and three seasons of TV Land's Hot In Cleveland alongside her former Mary Tyler Moore Show co-star Betty White. She also appeared on The Love Boat, Two and a Half Men and The Office.

Actress Valerie Bertinelli, who starred in Hot in Cleveland, wrote on T****** that Engel "was the sweetest, kindest, dearest woman. And crazy talented. I will miss her."

InThe313

• CSSA's Official Sports Analyst
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Read "Hellcats: Season 2" now on TSSA!
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 04:41:56 pm »
John Singleton, the Oscar-nominated filmmaker behind films like Boyz n the Hood, Rosewood and Four Brothers, died Monday after suffering a stroke, Fox 4 Kansas City reports. He was 51.

Singleton’s family confirmed the director’s death to Fox 4 film critic, Shawn Edwards.

Singleton was hospitalized after suffering a stroke April 17th and he later fell into a coma. Per a statement from his family, he was immediately placed in the hospital’s intensive care unit. “We ask that privacy be given to him and our family at this time and appreciate all of the prayers that have been pouring in from his fans, friends and colleagues,” the family said at the time.

Singleton famously became the first black person and the youngest person to be nominated for Best Director at the 1992 Academy Awards after the massive success of his debut film, Boyz n the Hood (he was also nominated for Best Screenplay). The film cast a rare spotlight on parts of Los Angeles that weren’t Hollywood, and Singleton’s future projects like Baby Boy, Poetic Justice and the historical drama Rosewood, would grapple with similar themes of growing up amidst racism and violence.

Singleton would also make several blockbuster action movies, directing the 2000 reboot of Shaft, starring Samuel L. Jackson, as well as 2 Fast 2 Furious, Four Brothers and Abduction. More recently, Singleton had turned to television, directing episodes of Empire and The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story, and creating the FX crime drama, Snowfall.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:56:04 am by InThe313 »
We must stand together
There's no getting even
Hand in hand forever
That's when we all win