Author Topic: What is classic TV?  (Read 252 times)

zeusaphone

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Back up in your ass with the resurrection
What is classic TV?
« on: October 11, 2017, 10:07:55 pm »
With Buffy the Vampire Slayer turning 20 years old this year, it begs the question of when a show becomes a part of classic TV (and presumably the stories relocated to that category).  I realize there are older shows and films than BTVS included in standard categories rather than "classic TV", but what's the cut off?
However do you want me?
However do you need me?

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
Re: What is classic TV?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:17 pm »
At one time it was 1950s to about 1975, but what it is now is up to our beautiful super intelligent wonderful mistress. You know you are getting old when Spice Girls become classic rock!
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway. 

I'll make that top 10 posters list yet! :D

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

zeusaphone

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Back up in your ass with the resurrection
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:43:10 pm »
Looks like the current cutoff is late 70's-ish.  Three's Company (1977-1984) and Alice (1976-1985) are in Classic TV.  The Facts of Life (1979-1988) is in Comedy.  Charlie's Angels (1976-1981) is in Action.  Yeah, there have been Charlie's Angels movies but almost all of the stories involve the TV characters.  Twilight Zone is in Classic TV despite movies and revivals.  CHiPS (1977-1983) is also in Action.  Fantasy Island (1977-1984) is in Classic TV.  Love Boat (1977-1987) is in Drama.

There's not a lot of consistency in placement.
However do you want me?
However do you need me?

Just Plain Tricky

• Tortoise... or a cat.
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Semi-Heroic Sociopath
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:33:26 am »
Nowadays I would say the 80s also classify and boy does that make me feel old.  Mod opinion?
"Can't shake hands with the Devil and say you're only kidding"

"Your Racist Friend"
--They Might Be Giants

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 02:41:12 pm »
Things can get confusing. In my DVD collection everything pre 1960 goes into classics except Westerns. But I have 4 silent Westerns in Classics. John Wayne movies are spread over Classics (non Westerns), Western, and a few non Westerns made after 1960 such as Green Berets. In Comedy I have subsections of TV which is shows like Jeannie, Gilligan, Hogan, and the like, then I go 1960 to 1980, then 1980 to now. All pre 1960 Horror goes into Classics, and there pretty much wasn't any martial arts films pre 1960 except Kurosawa and some Samurai stuff. Trying to buy those but they are not cheap. If I put Westerns into Classics there wouldn't be much in that category as few have been made since the 1970s. So it can get confusing even in private collections.
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway. 

I'll make that top 10 posters list yet! :D

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 03:14:53 pm »
Either something in black or white or colour, but when much of the audience would be watching in B&W

bdodo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:13:27 pm »
I think that it’s flexible let’s say once a show is off 20 to 25 years it can be considered a classic. But let’s face it it depends on what show it was because some shows aren’t even remembered anymore