Author Topic: TV and Movie News: Dead Franchises Keep Telling Tales  (Read 5869 times)

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
Re: TV and Movie News: Dead Franchises Keep Telling Tales
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2017, 09:03:14 pm »
Marvel is getting a little 'hit and miss'. Everyone seems to agree Daredevil was good, Iron Fist no so much, Gifted looks good so far, Inhumans looks terrible. Jury is still out.

Iron Fist was merely all right, serviceable but clearly just there to set up The Defenders. It suffered from bad press over being a character from the 70s that comes off as racist or at least tone-deaf today, and to be fair, they didn't do much to address that in Iron Fist itself. They did, albeit briefly, in Defenders, and I like to think the show will get better in it's second season. At least I hope so.

Inhumans... Inhumans will NOT be getting a second season unless Disney forces it on ABC, and considering they didn't force a third season of the cheaper-to-make Agent Carter, I'm betting Black Bolt and crew won't be back. Watching it's third episode right now, it's not getting any better. This whole third hour was just a waste of a talented cast.
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

InThe313

• CSSA's Official Sports Analyst
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Read "Hellcats: Season 2" now on TSSA!
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2017, 11:22:39 am »
It's great to see "Blade Runner" back to such positive reviews, but I'm sure the creators wished for a little more money this weekend.  "Blade Runner 2049" opened at first with $31.5 million this weekend.  "The Mountain Between Us" debuted at second with $10.1 million.  "It" dropped one spot to third with $9.7 million ($304.9 million overall).  "My Little Pony: The Movie" (yes, this actually happened) premiered at fourth with $8.8 million.  "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" plummeted four spots to fifth with $8.1 million ($80 million overall).

I should note that this is the ninth straight week for an R-rated film in the No. 1 spot following "Annabelle: Creation", "The Hitman's Bodyguard", "It" and "Kingsman: The Golden Circle".
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:42:08 am by InThe313 »
There you go making my heart beat again
Heart beat again, heart beat again
There you go making me feel like a kid
Won't you do it and do it one time
There you go pulling me right back in
Right back in, right back in
And I know I'm never letting this go
I'm stuck on you
Whoa-oh, whoa-oh

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2017, 03:27:36 pm »
The first Blade Runner wasn't the smash hit everyone remembers it being, at first. It grew and grew over time until it became a classic and ended up making insane amounts of money later on. Hopefully good word of mouth will do the same here. Also little competition for a a couple of weeks
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway. 

I'll make that top 10 posters list yet! :D

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2017, 05:17:03 pm »
"Wasn't smash hit?" It was a total flop. It really took the "Director's Cut" in 1992 for folks to appreciate it more and such. Not surprised at low box office, not just the tone but also the length hurt it too, too bad, very good.

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 05:21:31 pm »
I was trying to be diplomatic.
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway. 

I'll make that top 10 posters list yet! :D

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2017, 07:02:12 pm »
So more proof of how cool "Legends of Tomorrow" will be: Matt Ryan will be reprising his role as John Constantine for a couple of episodes.

Victor

• Fan of soundtracks, cartoons, old TV shows, and fine celebrity females. Also I'm an Ox.
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • The embracers.
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2017, 09:57:05 pm »
"My Little Pony: The Movie" (yes, this actually happened)

It's not even the first movie of this ilk - as those of us sentient in the 1980s remember. (Not to mention My Little Pony: Equestria Girls got shown in assorted cinemas a few years back).
"Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere just shared a joyful embrace in the middle of Hollywood Blvd." - Best bird-themed social networking post ever.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" - Hayden to me after I 'fessed up to being nervous.

"Follow my body." - Cat Valentine, "#MagicATM"

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:17 pm »
This story is so Raven.

"Raven's Home", the Disney Channel's "That's So Raven" sequel series, will be back for a second season, the network announced today.

Season 2 will begin production in November.  Star and executive producer Raven-Symoné will be back, of course, as well as Issac Ryan Brown, Navia Robinson, Jason Maybaum, Sky Katz and Anneliese van der Pol.

The series debuted in July.  It follows Raven and Chelsea, played by Raven-Symoné and van der Pol, respectively, 10 years after the original series and with kids of their own, as they move in together following their divorces and raise their kids together in a situation similar to "Fuller House".  Meanwhile, Raven's son Booker, played by Brown, inherited his mother's psychic abilities, as if raising a house full of kids wasn't difficult already.

No premiere date or episode count was announced for Season 2.  The Season 1 finale airs on Oct. 20.

"Raven's Home" airs on Fridays at 8/7c on the Disney Channel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rumors of the demise of "Ransom" were greatly exaggerated!

The internationally-produced hostage negotiator drama was renewed for a second season on CBS, the network announced today.

The series is produced and distributed by a consortium of international studios and networks, including Global in Canada, TF1 in France and CBS here in the United States.  It seemed unlikely to return due to its paltry ratings and was even reported to be cancelled, but that was incorrect.  However, its renewal does make some sense since it's a low-cost, low-stakes series that CBS can air on Saturday nights instead of a rerun.

The shows stars Luke Roberts as expert hostage negotiator Eric Beaumont, whose team is brought in to save lives when nobody else can.  The character is inspired by French hostage negotiator Laurent Combalbert.  Sarah Greene, Brandon Jay McLaren and Nazneen Contractor also star.  It's co-created and executive-produced by "The X-Files" and "The Man in the High Castle" EP Frank Spotnitz.

Season 1 premiered in the United States in January and aired its finale in April.

The 13-episode second season will be filmed in Hungary and will debut in 2018.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steven Spielberg's "Amazing Stories" will be told again.

The anthology series was tossed around in Hollywood and seemed ready for a revival for a few years now and iFruit came up with the right deal, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

"Amazing Stories" aired on NBC for two seasons from 1985 to 1987 and told stories of wonder and horror, a lot like "The Twilight Zone".  The series won five Primetime Emmy Awards and featured guest stars such as John Lithgow, Kyra Sedgwick, Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Costner, Mark Hamill, Harvey Keitel and more.

The series was eyed for a reboot by NBC in 2015, with "Hannibal" and "American Gods" creator Bryan Fuller attached to it.  The new deal for "Amazing Stories" is actually part of a larger content deal between iFruit and NBC Universal.  Fuller will still be a part of iFruit's version, which is expected to run for 10 episodes.

For iFruit, "Amazing Stories" represents one of its biggest acquisitions so far as it tries to make room for itself in the crowded marketplace of original content.  iFruit is also reportedly talking to Vince Gilligan from "Breaking Bad" and Ronald D. Moore from "Battlestar Galactica" for new shows.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:07:35 am by InThe313 »
I'm stuck on you
Whoa-oh, whoa-oh

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 07:09:20 pm »
It's not too early to discuss how this season's shows are shaping up.

ABC

Renewed
"Dancing with the Stars"
"The Goldbergs"
"Modern Family"

Yet to Air
"Alex, Inc."
"American Idol"
"The Bachelor Winter Games"
"The Crossing"
"Deception"
"For the People"
"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."
"Quantico"
"Splitting Up Together"
"To Tell the Truth"
"The Toy Box"

Looking Good
"America's Funniest Home Videos"
"American Housewife"
"The Bachelor"
"Black-ish"
"Designated Survivor"
"Fresh Off the Boat"
"The Good Doctor"
"Grey's Anatomy"
"How to Get Away with Murder"
"Shark Tank"
"Speechless"

Too Soon to Tell
"Kevin (Probably) Saves the World"
"Inhumans"
"The Mayor"
"Once Upon a Time"
"Somewhere Between"

Not Looking Good
"Ten Days in the Valley"

Cancelled/Ending
"The Middle"
"Scandal"

CBS

Renewed
"The Big Bang Theory"

Yet to Air
"The Amazing Race"
"Big Brother"
"By the Book"
"Celebrity Big Brother"
"Elementary"
"Instinct"
"Life in Pieces"
"Man with a Plan"
"Ransom"
"Superior Donuts"
"Survivor"
"S.W.A.T."
"Undercover Boss"

Looking Good
"Blue Bloods"
"Bull"
"Hawaii Five-0"
"Kevin Can Wait"
"MacGyver"
"NCIS"
"SEAL Team"
"Young Sheldon"

Too Soon to Tell
"9JKL"
"Criminal Minds"
"Madam Secretary"
"Me, Myself & I"
"NCIS: Los Angeles"
"NCIS: New Orleans"
"Scorpion"
"Wisdom of the Crowd"

CW

Too Soon to Tell
"Arrow"
"Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"
"Legends of Tomorrow"
"Dynasty"
"The Flash"
"Riverdale"
"Supergirl"
"Supernatural"
"Valor"

Yet to Air
"The 100"
"Black Lightning"
"iZombie"
"Life Sentence"
"The Originals"

Cancelled/Ending
"The Originals"

Fox

Renewed
"Hell's Kitchen"
"The Simpsons"

Yet to Air
"9-1-1"
"L.A. to Vegas"
"MasterChef Junior"
"New Girl"
"The Resident"
"The X-Files"

Looking Good
"Bob's Burgers"
"Empire"
"Family Guy"
"The Orville"
"Star"

Too Soon to Tell
"Brooklyn Nine-Nine"
"The Exorcist"
"Ghosted"
"The Gifted"
"Gotham"
"The Last Man on Earth"
"Lethal Weapon"
"Lucifer"
"The Mick"

Cancelled/Ending
"New Girl"

NBC

Renewed
"This Is Us"
"The Voice"
"Will & Grace"

Yet to Air
"A.P. Bio"
"The Awesome Show"
"Champions"
"Chicago Med"
"Ellen's Game of Games"
"Good Girls"
"The Handmade Project"
"Little Big Shots"
"Marlon"
"Reverie"
"Rise"
"Shades of Blue"
"Taken"
"Timeless"
"Trial & Error"

Looking Good
"Chicago Fire"
"Chicago P.D."
"The Good Place"
"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
"Superstore"

Too Soon to Tell
"The Blacklist"
"Blindspot"
"The Brave"
"Great News"
"Midnight, Texas"

Cancelled/Ending
"The Night Shift"
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:47:45 am by InThe313 »
I'm stuck on you
Whoa-oh, whoa-oh

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2017, 07:12:42 pm »
Star Wars fans, get ready to have your minds blown: Ron Howard has confirmed that among the characters of the Han Solo spin-off are Tags and Bink. Created by comic writer/artist Kevin Rubio, the duo were a pair of bumbling goofs shown to be basically on the sidelines throughout the original saga. The idea is they're responsible for everything from Anakin's nutty pick-up lines to Padme to messing up the battle of Endor. Turns out Howard was a huge fan and decided to toss them in.

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 11:06:23 am »
Ready to enjoy a horror version of "Groundhog Day"?  It looks like a lot of people did as "Happy Death Day" debuted at first this weekend, making its budget back more than five times over with $26.5 million.  "Blade Runner 2049" dropped one spot to second with $15.1 million ($60.6 million overall).
I'm stuck on you
Whoa-oh, whoa-oh

Sex Kitten

• Posting Machine
  • Enjoying Naked Time with Charisma
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2017, 06:35:37 pm »
Nazi Supergirl & Arrow villains revealed in Arrowverse crossover

Set photos revealing the Nazi villain versions of Supergirl and Green Arrow from the 2017 Arrowoverse crossover have now made their way online. With the arrival of The Flash, the Arrowverse was officially born. So too was the tradition of crossing over the shared TV universe’s shows once a year. However, after last year’s four-part adventure involving alien invaders, the minds behind these series decided to look towards a tried and true comic book trope for the follow-up: evil doppelgängers.

We’ve known for awhile now that Vixen will soon be joined on CW Seed by Freedom Fighters: The Ray, an animated series taking place on Earth-X, where the Nazis won World War II and have evil counterparts of DC heroes. Standing against them are The Ray and his friends, a team of Golden Age-inspired characters. While it was exciting to learn evil Supergirl, The Flash, and Arrow will appear on the series, it was even more intriguing when it was announced that Earth-X will be the setting for the Arrowverse crossover this year. Not only will The Ray make his live-action debut there, but so too will the nefarious Overgirl and other evil Arrowverse counterparts.

With the Arrowverse crossover currently filming, some * users have nabbed pictures of the evil Supergirl, aka Overgirl, and the evil Arrow from the set.

The crossover will also feature an “alternate” version of Prometheus, dubbed Prometheus-X, who could very well be the villain shown here. In Freedom Fighters: The Ray, the character looks a lot more like Oliver Queen as the Green Arrow. Knowing that, there’s a chance Prometheus-X, if this is in fact that character, is actually another evil archer. Could this be how Roy Harper is set to return in the Arrowverse?

We also get a truly frightening look at Melissa Benoist as Overgirl. In the comics, she’s the clone of a Superman (aka Overman) who landed in Nazi territory in the ’30s and became the literal Ubermensch. There’s no indication what her origin will be here, but the mask is certainly a creepy touch to an already dangerously powerful villain.

So far, there’s no shot yet of the evil Flash, but he’s likely to arrive as he was teased on the crossover’s poster. He’s also a part of Freedom Fighters, which will presumably arrive online before the team-up this year. As we get closer, expect a lot more images and information to arrive regarding the crossover and the world of Earth-X.

The “Crisis on Earth-X” crossover begins Monday, November 27th at 8pm with Supergirl and continue with Arrow at 9pm. It will continue on Tuesday, November 28th at 8pm with The Flash and conclude at 9pm with Legends of Tomorrow.

-SK
Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it's a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

Sex Kitten

• Posting Machine
  • Enjoying Naked Time with Charisma
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
Update: Arrowverse crossover set photos reveal Earth-X Flash’s identity

Behind-the-scenes photos from the filming of the Earth-X crossover event confirm that Reverse Flash is back. The Flash fans are loving the return of the fastest man alive, and they’re looking forward to the big event of the Arrowverse this season: a massive Earth-X crossover event that will bring together Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl in a four hour special over two nights. The crossover event is set to air next month, and has been filming this week, leading to some interesting set photos making headlines, including one of Nazi Supergirl (or Overgirl) herself.

Now, another set photo has surfaced from the filming of the crossover event, and it reveals something that fans have suspected since the poster for the event was released: the identity of the Earth-X Flash. While the promo material for the event showed a the familiar yellow of the Reverse Flash’s costume, it wasn’t clear whether or not this would be a Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) version of the character or not, but now we know for sure.

The photos, posted by Themyscira Bound on *, show Tom Cavanagh wearing the Reverse Flash suit, with the hood pulled down away from his face. The suit matches that of the Earth-X Flash on the poster, with the yellow chest turning into a black suit below the waist. The images also show Grant Gustin in his red Flash costume walking next to Cavanagh (wearing only part of his costume).

The Reverse Flash costume matches that of the comic book Earth-X Flash, but it wasn’t known until now whether or not the Arrowverse Earth-X would be played by Grant Gustin or someone else. The Earth-X Supergirl (Overgirl) is being played by Melissa Benoist, suggesting that at least some of the heroes will have evil doppelgangers in this crossover. Of course, now that we know that Cavanagh is going to be the Earth-X Flash, it seems that not all the evil counterparts of the Arrowverse heroes will be duplicates.

Harrison Wells was, of course, the Reverse Flash of Earth-1 in earlier seasons of the Flash, before it was revealed that Reverse Flash was actually Eobard Thawne (Matt Letscher) pretending to be Harrison Wells who was the speedster villain. It’s not yet clear how this will play into the Earth-X Reverse Flash’s identity, and whether this will also be Thawne-as-Wells, or if this is the true Harrison Wells’ identity in this alternate universe.

Whatever the details, fans will be thrilled to see Cavanagh return to the show, as he (in all his many character guises) has been a fan favorite from the beginning.

-SK
Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it's a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 07:05:47 pm »
FX ordered a third season of Pamela Adlon's "Better Things".

The Peabody-winning series stars Adlon as Sam, an actress and single mother of three who has no filter when it comes to raising kids.  Following Sam's adventures in Hollywood, her complicated relationships and rocky dating life, "Better Things" is considered to be one of the best portrayals of motherhood in the present.  Mikey Madison, Hannah Alligood and Olivia Edward play Sam's three kids, Max, Frankie and Duke, respectively.  Celia Imrie plays Sam's meddling mother Phil, who lives across the street.

"Better Things" is currently airing its second season on FX.  In addition to creating, starring in, writing and executive-producing the series, Adlon is the director for every episode of Season 2.  This year, Adlon received her first lead actress Primetime Emmy nomination for her portrayal of Sam.  She had previously been nominated for her guest role on "Louie" and won a Primetime Emmy for her voice work as Bobby on "King of the Hill".

"Better Things" airs on Thursdays at 10/9c on FX.

"Casual", one of Zulu's first original shows, was renewed for a fourth and final season, according to a news site.  The half-hour dramedy will be back for eight final episodes in 2018.

"Casual" stars Michaela Watkins as Valerie, a divorced single mother who moves in with her younger brother Alex, played by Tommy Dewey, the founder of a dating site with his own romantic issues, as well as Tara Lynne Barr as Laura, Val's teenage daughter.  At the end of Season 3, Val moved back into Alex's house after some time apart, while Alex found out that Rae, played by Maya Erskine, a woman he recently hooked up with, is pregnant.  Season 3 was notable for having most of its episodes directed by women, including Carrie Brownstein, Lake Bell and "Obvious Child" director Gillian Robespierre.

"Casual" put Zulu on the map as a destination for original content and became the first Zulu show to earn a series award nomination when it was nominated for comedy series at the 2015 Golden Globes.

"Once more.  Impossible to overstate how much I love this show and these people, and how excited I am for this last chapter," Dewey ******* in response to the news.

"Oh yeah.  Season 4 babies.  Final and what I bet will be our best season yet!" Watkins *******.
I'm stuck on you
Whoa-oh, whoa-oh

voodoojoe

• The Minor Sixty-Niner
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I got a McPheever, and I got it bad!
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 10:20:01 pm »
From the "who didn't see this coming?" file, a Magnum, P.I. reboot is back in development, but this time for CBS, from the same guy that did Hawaii Five-0 and MacGyver. Also, Jonathan Higgins would become Juliet Higgins.

Are we one step closer to an A-Team remake (with Murdock as a female pilot, or would Face be a hot chick con artist)? What about Dukes of Hazzard (maybe a couple of them could actually be a closer relation than "cousin" or "uncle" this time)? I personally wouldn't mind seeing some new version of The Fall Guy (original was just good enough to get me to check it out, yet not so many warm fuzzy memories wrapped around it to make it a much harder needle to thread, like MacGyver).
She's a good girl, loves her mama
Loves Jesus and America too
She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis
Loves horses and her boyfriend too

It's a long day livin' in Reseda
There's a freeway runnin' through the yard
And I'm a bad boy, 'cause I don't even miss her
I'm a bad boy for breakin' her heart