Author Topic: Promising Pilots 2017  (Read 1130 times)

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
Promising Pilots 2017
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:12:20 pm »
So here we go with pilot season and while some of the usual stuff like cookie-cutter family comedies, a few intriguing projects:

ABC:

Charlie Foxtrot: Jason Biggs as the dentist at an army base who promises to keep an eye on his brother’s kids when he’s deployed in Iraq.

The Crossing: Refugees from a collapsed America 250 years in the future flee to the present for asylum. As a small town deals with the odd refugees, they wonder if their presence may be the event that causes this dark future to form.

Deception: After his career is ruined by scandal, a magician hires himself out as a consultant to the FBI.

Doomsday: Years after disbanding, members of a post-9/11 think tank discover someone has gotten hold of the deadly scenarios they imagined and have to stop the very disasters they created. Taye Diggs stars

The Good Doctor: Freddie Highmore as a savant who has to do surgeries despite his inability to handle people.

The Gospel of Kevin: Jason Ritter as a down-on-his luck guy chosen by God to save the world.

Household Name: A couple find their dream house but the only way to own it is to share with an eccentric actress (Carol Burnett). 

Inhumans: Focusing on the royal family of the INhumans dealing with the new wave of super-powered people across the Marvel universe.

Jalen vs Everyone: Jalen Rose plays off himself as an NBA star/analyst juggling his jobs.

Las Reinas: A detective is forced to go back to the criminal family she long turned her back on and figures the line between family and justice.

Libby and Malcom: Felicity Huffman and Courtney B. Vance as political pundits who fall in love despite their difference in politics.

Salamandar: An FBI agent and an engineer work to find out why someone robed 66 safety deposit boxes and stumble on an ancient conspiracy.

Ten Days In the Valley: Kyra Sedgewick as an overworked producer who’s thrown when her daughter is kidnapped and finds herself in a mystery weirder than any of her shows.

The Trustee: A cop forges a bond with the ex-con who does menial work around her police station.

Unit Zero: A sexy CIA team carry out flashy missions…unaware they’re the distraction for the non-descript office workers who are the real operatives.

Untitled Marc Cherry Project: Reba McEntire is a conservative sheriff of a Southern town thrown when the FBI agent sent to help in a murder case is of Middle Eastern descent.

Untitled Mayor Project: A rapper (Brandon Michael Hall) runs for mayor of New York as a publicity stunt…only to actually win. Lea Michele co-stars.

NBC:

Drama High: A new school drama club invigorates a small town thanks to a smart teacher.

For God and Country: A military drama of an elite unit handling dangerous missions.

Good Girls: Three suburban wives and mothers unite to get back their power by acting up. Mae Whitman and Kathleen Rose Perkins star.

Redliners: Two former operatives are reactivated and drawn into a conspiracy while maintaining their personal lives.

Reverie: When an advanced virtual reality program gets out of control, a detective is called in to use a more grounded approach to solve things. Sarah Shahi and Kathryn Morris star.

The Sackett Sisters: After a public act of heroism makes them stars, two estranged sisters have to handle the fallout. Casey Wilson and Busy Phillips star.

Salvation: When a massive hurricane hits New York, a small Brooklyn hospital is the only viable medical center and has to handle the influx of patients.

Spaced Out: A workplace comedy of the team trying to build the ship to Mars. Miranda Cosgrove stars.

Untitled Mindy Kaling Production: An unambitious gym owner and his idiot brother have to deal with the former’s ex-girlfriend (Kaling) dropping off the teenage son he never knew he had.

Untitled Lorne Michaels/Seth Myers project: After losing out on his dream job, an Ivy League professor works at a high school and starts using the kids in his plot for revenge. Patton Oswalt stars.

What About Barb?: Based on the 1991 Bill Murray comedy, a psychiatrist is thrown when her overly needy patient follows her around and is accepted by her family. Leah Remini stars.

Will & Grace: Return of the 1990s hit comedy.

CBS:

The Get: A band of internet reporters try to get at the news in a bold new world.

Hannah Royce’s Questionable Choices: A mother (Alice Eve) handles raising three children by three different men.

Instinct: A former CIA operative (Alan Cummings) is pulled back into the life when the NYPD need to stop a serial killer.

Living Biblically: At a crossroads, a man decides to live his life by the Bible.

Me, Myself and I: A man looks back at his life as a 14-year old in 1991, a 40-year old today and 65 in 2042.

Mission Control: As Earth’s time runs out, a new generation of NASA workers have to prepare for a new space race.

Perfect Citizen: After blowing the whistle on his work at the NSA, the former director (Noah Wyle) now works at a firm in Boston with half the country hailing him as a hero and the other half a traitor.

SWAT: Remake of the 1970s series of an elite police unit. Shemar Moore stars.

Wisdom of the Crowd: A tech billionaire (Jeremy Piven) comes up with a new crowd-sourcing method to solve crimes…including his own daughter’s murder.

FOX:

The Beast: Three medical cases are tackled in each episode…one of which the patient won’t survive.

Behind Enemy Lines: Based on the movie of a squad of soldiers overseas. Marg Helgenberger stars.

Controversy: The junior counsel of a college has to handle the uproar when a woman accuses the football team of rape. Archie Panjabi and Rita Wilson star.

Ghosted: A skeptic and a paranormal believer are recruited by an organization to investigate unexplained activity in LA and discover a vast conspiracy.

Linda From HR: Lauren Graham in the title role of an office worker who makes one bad choice that throws her life into a tailspin.

Orville: 300 years in the future, a ship handles strange adventures with an odd crew. Seth McFarlane and Adrianne Palicki star.

The Resident: An idealistic young doctor learns the brutal realities of modern hospitals.

Thin Ice: The workers at an Antarctic research base are thrown when the new arrival is a gorgeous scientist (Bridget Mendler).

Untitled X-Men Project: Discovering their children of mutants, a family goes on the run from government operatives out to get them. Amy Acker and Jamie Chung star.

CW:

Black Lightning: Years after hanging up his costume, teacher Jefferson Pierce is pulled back into the life as the electricity controlling Black Lightning.

Dynasty: A reboot of the ‘80s series as the Carringtons and Colbys vie for control of the family fortune just as a Latina woman marries into the family.

Insaitable: A disgraced, dissatisfied civil lawyer-turned-beauty pageant coach takes on a vengeful, bullied teenager as his client, he has no idea what he’s about to unleash upon the world. Debby Ryan stars.

Life Sentence: After being given a terminal cancer diagnosis, a woman (Lucy Hale) quits her job, dumps her boyfriend and blows her cash on wild times across the world from tattoos to random hookups. But when she learns she’s really perfectly healthy, she has to live with the consequences of her actions.

Searchers: Ten years after the deaths of their parents, a brother and sister reunite to discover their mom’s stories of the myths of the world are all too real.

Valor: A band of U.S. helicopter pilots plan a secret mission to rescue POWs.

voodoojoe

• The Minor Sixty-Niner
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Jenna Ortega looks bored, she needs to get laid
Re: Promising Pilots 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 01:44:24 am »
The Crossing: Refugees from a collapsed America 250 years in the future flee to the present for asylum. As a small town deals with the odd refugees, they wonder if their presence may be the event that causes this dark future to form.

If you're going to blatantly steal from South Park, it's a solid place to start. It might be a little too on the nose for certain real world happenings though. But, as I saw pointed out when discussing this idea on another site, if you're going back in time to look for work why would you come to now?

The Good Doctor: Freddie Highmore as a savant who has to do surgeries despite his inability to handle people.

So, House as a surgeon?

The Gospel of Kevin: Jason Ritter as a down-on-his luck guy chosen by God to save the world.

Jason Ritter is cool and all (Dipper Pines, for the win), but couldn't we get more of his sister, Joan, talking to God instead?

Salamandar: An FBI agent and an engineer work to find out why someone robed 66 safety deposit boxes and stumble on an ancient conspiracy.

This sounds like pretty much every other post-Lost serial trying to layer on all sorts of mysteries onto a framework that just doesn't support them.

Drama High: A new school drama club invigorates a small town thanks to a smart teacher.

Drama teacher saves town! News at 11!

[/quote]Redliners: Two former operatives are reactivated and drawn into a conspiracy while maintaining their personal lives.

Wasn't this basically the premise for that show with Gugu Mbatha-Raw a few years ago also on NBC? I know NBC likes to recycle stuff from its past, but normally they go with stuff that was actually successful the first time around.

Reverie: When an advanced virtual reality program gets out of control, a detective is called in to use a more grounded approach to solve things. Sarah Shahi and Kathryn Morris star.

Huh? Though Sarah Shahi and Kathryn Morris are easy enough on the eyes to warrant some interest on that alone.

The Sackett Sisters: After a public act of heroism makes them stars, two estranged sisters have to handle the fallout. Casey Wilson and Busy Phillips star.

Why, oh why, couldn't Casey Wilson still be on Happy Endings instead of having to sign up for inferior shows every year? That also goes for Elisha being stuck on a TSSTAB show with the two members of the That '70s Show cast I'd ever want to watch anything with again.

Spaced Out: A workplace comedy of the team trying to build the ship to Mars. Miranda Cosgrove stars.

The Office in Space? Or is it more The Office Builds a Spaceship?

What About Barb?: Based on the 1991 Bill Murray comedy, a psychiatrist is thrown when her overly needy patient follows her around and is accepted by her family. Leah Remini stars.

Oh, for the love of... The movie was hilarious but that was because it had Bill fucking Murray at the peak of his powers. This doesn't and how are they going to stretch the premise from a 90 or so minute movie into even a full season, let alone future seasons?

Will & Grace: Return of the 1990s hit comedy.

Just fucking shoot me now. I hated this show 20 years ago, hate it now, and I can't imagine getting the band together for a round of nostalgia is going to dampen that hatred any time soon.

CBS:

I could probably skip past this entire section, safe in the knowledge that there's not going to be anything in it for me. I mean, the entirety of my CBS watching in the last decade is pretty much HIMYM. I'm sure there were probably others that didn't last here or there, and others (like MacGyver) that I've given an episode or two before giving up, but actual weekly watching is pretty much HIMYM.

The Get: A band of internet reporters try to get at the news in a bold new world.

Hannah Royce’s Questionable Choices: A mother (Alice Eve) handles raising three children by three different men.

Instinct: A former CIA operative (Alan Cummings) is pulled back into the life when the NYPD need to stop a serial killer.

Living Biblically: At a crossroads, a man decides to live his life by the Bible.

Me, Myself and I: A man looks back at his life as a 14-year old in 1991, a 40-year old today and 65 in 2042.

Mission Control: As Earth’s time runs out, a new generation of NASA workers have to prepare for a new space race.

Perfect Citizen: After blowing the whistle on his work at the NSA, the former director (Noah Wyle) now works at a firm in Boston with half the country hailing him as a hero and the other half a traitor.

SWAT: Remake of the 1970s series of an elite police unit. Shemar Moore stars.

Wisdom of the Crowd: A tech billionaire (Jeremy Piven) comes up with a new crowd-sourcing method to solve crimes…including his own daughter’s murder.

Yeah, pretty much. *yawn*

Controversy: The junior counsel of a college has to handle the uproar when a woman accuses the football team of rape. Archie Panjabi and Rita Wilson star.

Rather than a ripped-from-the-headlines Law & Order episode, Baylor screwed up so badly they get a full tv series!

Linda From HR: Lauren Graham in the title role of an office worker who makes one bad choice that throws her life into a tailspin.

Lauren Graham should get me to at least look at reviews to see if it's any good. Though I can't really tell whether it's supposed to be a comedy, dramedy, or just heavy drama. Dramedy is more in Lauren's wheelhouse, and the title sound more like a sitcom, but Parenthood wasn't particularly light, unless you think surgically attacking viewers' tear ducts every week is lighthearted fun.

Orville: 300 years in the future, a ship handles strange adventures with an odd crew. Seth McFarlane and Adrianne Palicki star.

Is this live action? Because I'm not sure people actually want more live action Seth McFarlane. The only time he's really successful at anything is when he doing crazy voices. And it would seem a massive waste to Adrianne Palicki in a voice only role.

Untitled X-Men Project: Discovering their children of mutants, a family goes on the run from government operatives out to get them. Amy Acker and Jamie Chung star.

Three words: Natalie, Alyn, and Lind (seriously, look her up, though anyone that watched The Goldbergs or Gotham should already have a passing familiarity). I'm all in, pretty much regardless of any actual quality, or lack thereof.

Dynasty: A reboot of the ‘80s series as the Carringtons and Colbys vie for control of the family fortune just as a Latina woman marries into the family.

Liz Gillies was cast, so, yeah.

Insaitable: A disgraced, dissatisfied civil lawyer-turned-beauty pageant coach takes on a vengeful, bullied teenager as his client, he has no idea what he’s about to unleash upon the world. Debby Ryan stars.

Make Debby dye her hair red again and I'll watch every episode religiously.

Life Sentence: After being given a terminal cancer diagnosis, a woman (Lucy Hale) quits her job, dumps her boyfriend and blows her cash on wild times across the world from tattoos to random hookups. But when she learns she’s really perfectly healthy, she has to live with the consequences of her actions.

I stuck around PLL for far longer than I normally would have for Lucy (well, and Benzo), so I'll at least check it out.

Valor: A band of U.S. helicopter pilots plan a secret mission to rescue POWs.

Isn't this kinda the plot to Rambo 3?
Can't waste a day when the night brings a hearse
So make a move and plead the fifth cause ya can't plead the first
Can't waste a day when the night brings a hearse
So now I'm rollin down Rodeo wit a shotgun
These people ain't seen a brown skin man
Since their grandparents bought one

Sex Kitten

• Posting Machine
  • Enjoying Naked Time with Charisma
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 04:40:38 am »
The few that interest me...

ABC: Inhumans: Focusing on the royal family of the Inhumans dealing with the new wave of super-powered people across the Marvel universe.

FOX: Orville: 300 years in the future, a ship handles strange adventures with an odd crew. Seth McFarlane and Adrianne Palicki star.
Untitled X-Men Project: Discovering their children are mutants, a family goes on the run from government operatives out to get them. Amy Acker and Jamie Chung star.

CW: Black Lightning: Years after hanging up his costume, teacher Jefferson Pierce is pulled back into the life as the electricity controlling Black Lightning.

---

What's up with all the religious shows, this season?

To voodoojoe: Yes, Orville is live action.

Info: Orville is an upcoming comedy-drama science fiction television series created by Seth MacFarlane that is set to premiere on Fox during the 2017–18 season.

Premise: The series follows the crew of the exploratory ship Orville 300 years in the future.

Cast: Seth MacFarlane as Ed Grayson, captain of the Orville
Adrianne Palicki as Kelly Grayson, first officer of the Orville and Ed's ex-wife
Scott Grimes as Gordon, pilot of the Orville and Ed's best friend
Peter Macon
J. Lee
Halston Sage
Penny Johnson Jerald
Mark Jackson

(So, in addition to Adrianne, we'll get Halston, as well.) ;)

Development: MacFarlane originally wrote Orville as a spec script, which was picked up by Fox on May 4, 2016. The network ordered 13 episodes. It will be the first live-action TV series created by MacFarlane, as well as his first live-action starring role on television.

-SK
Anna Akana: If you can’t be the sharpest tool in the shed, you can always be the hoe.

Anna Akana: Cleavage is the only thing you can look down on, & approve of at the same time.

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:48:39 am »
If I was willing to pay $100 a month for a 23 channel cable I would watch; Black Lightning, Inhumans, and X-Men. Nothing else on that list. Half of them look like each other with slight variations.
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Is it possible I could catch TRL for 9th?

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway!

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

DrBlasphemy

• Purveyor Of Perversity
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Beware of the Bullet Club Bunny!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:13:41 pm »
So Fake News the TV Show.

I'll check out Inhumans just because Serinda Swan is in it, but I'm not expecting much with Agents of SHIELD being ass.

The X-Men Show has a name. Its called "The Gifted" and sounds like a remake of the comic book Power Pack converted to mutants.

CW has done no wrong with DC heroes since "Birds of Prey," so Black Lightning is on my list.
"Use all your filthy words, the greatest sound I've ever heard.
They keep my heart and soul so blown away." - Monster Magnet (Bored With Sorcery)