Author Topic: 2017 MLB news and notes  (Read 574 times)

InThe313

• CSSA's Official Sports Analyst
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Read "Hellcats: Season 2" now on TSSA!
Re: 2017 MLB news and notes
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 10:43:35 pm »
All rise!  Aaron Judge defeated Miguel Sanó, 11-10, in the final round with 1:56 left on the clock to win this year's Home Run Derby.
She won't ever get enough
Once she gets a little touch
If I had it my way
You know that I'd make her say
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
My first kiss went a little like this
And twist, and twist

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 12:31:30 am »
TRL and I are now accepting applications to the I Heart the DH Club.  The American League bested the National League, 2-1, in 10 innings for their fifth straight in the All-Star Game as Robinson Canó collected the game's MVP award with his extra-inning home run.
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

voodoojoe

• Selena's Punching Bag
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Selena's trying to kill me again
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2017, 12:02:49 am »
"Correction: While no national media had this story, a ****** user named “wetbutt23" had it last night. CSN Chicago apologizes to wetbutt23 for the error. "

That might be the greatest correction, in response to the Jose Quintana trade, might be the greatest correction in media history.
I've givin' everything I need
I'd give you everything I own
I'd give in if it could at least be ours alone
I've given everything I could
To blow it to hell and gone
Burrow down and
Blow up the outside world

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 03:08:28 pm »
Wait, so Comcast SportsNet Chicago will apologize to wetbutt23 but not to KatyPerrysBootyHole?  Un-freaking-believable!  /sarcasm]
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 06:34:41 pm »
Adrián Beltré put his name in the history books as his double today made him the first Dominican Republic-born player and 31st player overall to reach 3,000 career MLB hits.  Fittingly enough, he also became the first to reach the milestone during Hall of Fame weekend, which he will soon be a part of.  Too bad it wasn't enough for the Rangers today as they fell to the Orioles, 10-6.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:37:13 pm by InThe313 »
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 12:37:17 pm »
Whether or not you like the Cubs, this is a wonderful story to hear.  After 14 years, the Cubs are going to present Steve Bartman with a 2016 World Series ring as a gesture of good faith after Bartman's interference cost the Cubs the 2003 NLCS.  About damn time.
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 04:51:40 pm »
And in case no one knew, the Dodgers have won 43 of their last 50 games. The last time that happened was the Giants 105 years ago.

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 02:09:27 pm »
Don Baylor, the 1979 American League MVP, died Monday of cancer. He was 68.

"Don passed from this earth with the same fierce dignity with which he played the game and lived his life," his wife, Rebecca, said in a statement.

He died Monday at a hospital in Austin, Texas, his son, Don Baylor Jr., told the Austin American-Statesman.

Baylor played for the Orioles, Athletics, Angels, Yankees, Red Sox and Twins over a 19-year career. He was an All-Star and the MVP winner with the Angels in 1979, when he led the majors in RBIs and runs and also set career highs in home runs and hits.

He reached the World Series three straight times at the end of his career from 1986 to 1988 and won the title with the Twins in 1987.

Baylor batted .260 with 338 home runs and 1,276 RBIs in his career. He led the majors seven times in being hit by pitches during a season, including taking 35 of them in 1986 with the Red Sox. He drew 267 HBPs in his career.

He was also known for speed as a younger player, including a career-high 52 steals with Oakland in 1976, and was a bruising baserunner who loved to break up double plays. He finished with 285 steals.

Major League Baseball Players Association executive director Tony Clark issued a statement Monday on the deaths of Baylor and Darren Daulton, the former Philadelphia Phillies All-Star who died Sunday at the age of 55.

"Words cannot express the sadness we feel today, as cancer claims two more of the baseball-playing fraternity's proudest and strongest members," Clark said. "Darren Daulton and Don Baylor will be deeply missed by the entire baseball community. During their playing careers and beyond, both Darren and Don selflessly helped generations of young players transition from wide-eyed rookies into successful Major Leaguers. Don's commitment to the game and its future also inspired him to play an instrumental role in helping the MLBPA establish itself as a bona-fide union.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Darren's and Don's families, friends and legions of fans."

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred also expressed his condolences to the families of Baylor and Daulton in a statement.

"Throughout stints with 14 different major league teams as a player, coach or manager, Don's reputation as a gentleman always preceded him," Manfred said.

After his playing career, Baylor served as the manager of the Colorado Rockies for their inaugural season in 1993. He was the team's skipper for six seasons and took the Rockies to their first postseason appearance in 1995, when he also was named National League Manager of the Year. Baylor is one of four men, along with Frank Robinson, Joe Torre and Kirk Gibson, to win both an MVP and Manager of the Year award, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Baylor also managed the Chicago Cubs from 2000 to 2002. He had a career record of 627-689 as a manager.

He was diagnosed with multiple myeloma 14 years ago, according to his family. He partnered with former Yankees pitcher Mel Stottlemyre to increase awareness and promote research of the disease.

Born June 28, 1949, in Austin, Baylor was a second-round pick by Baltimore in 1967 and chose baseball over a chance to be the first black football player at Texas. Two years later, the Longhorns became the last all-white team to win a national championship.

Mostly a designated hitter but also an outfielder and first baseman, Baylor went to junior college before joining the Orioles organization. He made his big league debut in 1970 and spent six years with Baltimore. After a year in the first of two stints with Oakland, Baylor played six seasons for the Angels.

The Orioles and Angels opened a three-game series against each other on Monday night in Anaheim with a moment of silence for Baylor.

Baylor is survived by his wife, son and two granddaughters.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 12:49:48 am »
Oh, no, poor Rich Hill.  He became the first pitcher in MLB history to lose a perfect game on a ninth-inning error and then if that wasn't bad enough, he became the first pitcher in MLB history to lose a no-hitter on a walk-off home run as Josh Harrison's solo yard work gave the Pirates a 1-0 win over the Dodgers in 10 innings.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 12:58:20 am by InThe313 »
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 04:16:53 pm »
Going to a baseball game and a Beanball war began! Tigers vs 'roid-head cheaters, I mean Yankees! Six players ejected after bench clearing brawls, 5 of them Yankees, so you know,who the evil team is!
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway. 

I'll make that top 10 posters list yet! :D

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 05:02:37 pm »
Going to a baseball game and a Beanball war began! Tigers vs 'roid-head cheaters, I mean Yankees! Six players ejected after bench clearing brawls, 5 of them Yankees, so you know,who the evil team is!
And the Tigers won.  Justice was served!   ;D
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 05:33:36 pm »
Indeed it was. Well known I'm a St. Louis girl and die hard Cardinals fan so I rarely had any beef with the Yankees. Now, after years and years of their blatant cheating and 'roids and trying to buy championships, I realize what Red Sox fans have known for 100 years; that the Yankees are pond scum and that's an insult to pond scum!
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway. 

I'll make that top 10 posters list yet! :D

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 04:23:04 pm »
Giancarlo Stanton is starting to emerge as a candidate for the NL MVP.  He smacked his 50th homer of the season today as the Marlins downed the Padres, 6-2.
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist

voodoojoe

• Selena's Punching Bag
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Selena's trying to kill me again
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 05:50:44 pm »
Giancarlo Stanton is starting to emerge as a candidate for the NL MVP.  He smacked his 50th homer of the season today as the Marlins downed the Padres, 6-2.

I was going to say "nah, they don't give MVPs to guys on .500 teams" but looking at stats, I don't know who else they give it to. Harper probably would have been the odds on favorite if he hadn't gotten hurt and effectively ended his regular season. The Dodgers are really fucking good, but they don't really have that one player that jumps out and makes an obvious case. Arenado in Colorado and Goldschmidt in Arizona maybe, but neither really scream MVP (especially Arenado since his offensive numbers are going to get discounted by virtue of playing in Coors Field). Cubs seem to have finally taken control of the Central, but Bryant just won and he's not really having the type of year that wins, especially not back-to-back.

The AL is far more clear cut, it's either Altuve or Trouser Trout. Trout is the superior player, and the Angels are actually in the playoff hunt (largely because the rest of the league is just as mediocre as they are) but between already winning it a couple times and his extended DL visit, he might be looking at another second place finish.
I've givin' everything I need
I'd give you everything I own
I'd give in if it could at least be ours alone
I've given everything I could
To blow it to hell and gone
Burrow down and
Blow up the outside world

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2017, 12:49:38 am »
Some people want to watch the world burn and right now, I'm looking for a fucking match!  According to Buster Olney, the Astros acquired six-time All-Star Justin Verlander from the Tigers.  This comes as the Astros beat the Rangers, 5-1.
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
If I had it my way
Ooh, ooh
And twist, and twist