Author Topic: Grammar Question  (Read 810 times)

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
Grammar Question
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:54:03 pm »
Should "Snyder's Summers' Sexfest" have a possessive apostrophe after the Summers? *Summers as Joyce and Buffy, not the season

If it was "Snyder's Summers" he'd possess them (not literally, it is not a slavery story) so he'd have an apostrophe and if it was "Summers' Sexfest" it'd be their sexfest and there'd be an apostrophe after their name; but if he's having them are they also owning it or should it be "Snyder's Summers Sexfest"

Anyone enough of a grammar bunny to be able to give a view?

JayDee

• Posting Machine
  • Empty Quarter
Re: Grammar Question
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 02:28:49 am »
TSSA: Where even the pages of A Grammar of the English Tongue by Samuel Johnson are stuck together.

I thought I knew this, but I'm going to double check.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:30:21 am by JayDee »

JayDee

• Posting Machine
  • Empty Quarter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:55:47 pm »
Checked my grammar and usage books. Seemed to support my first thought. Tossed it out to some other folks, BronxWench and pippychick who know their grammmar for confirmation, so here's what they said:

BronxWench
Think of the “Summers Sexfest” as an event. If it were to need an apostrophe and an appended “s” to denote possession, or reference to the event, it would correctly be placed at the end of the event title: Summers Sexfest’s location, for example. So, if the possession is on the part of Snyder, then “Snyder’s Summers Sexfest” is correct.

pippychick
 I think I agree with Bronx, but does the confusion stem from LL wanting to indicate that there is more than one Summers involved? Ugh… at first glance you know the answer, then it becomes weirder and weirder...

When saying “Snyder’s Summers’ Sexfest” we get the confusion over whose sexfest it is. While “Snyder’s Summers Sexfest” might only involve Joyce, Buffy, Dawn, all three, or any combination.

The only proper way to indicate possession by Snyder, while also indicating there is more than one Summers involved would be to say:

“Snyder’s Summerses Sexfest”

Wow… what happens when you say: “Snyder’s Summerses’ Sexfest”? It's like Inception or something…

(please do not look into the void, as it may look back into you)

Hope that helps.

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:56:14 am »
I've  sent in Snyder's Summers Sexfest

However with thanks to JayDee (and people from another forum)  you can all read about Snyder fucking Buffy and her Mom without worrying about incorrect placing of apostrophes in the title...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:17:21 am by LL »

JayDee

• Posting Machine
  • Empty Quarter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:04:02 am »
I passed on your thanks!