Author Topic: Celebrity Passings 2017  (Read 15787 times)

DanielO

• Posting Machine
  • Aly Michalka, My New Goddess.
Celebrity Passings 2017
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:11:00 am »
 Nat Hentoff, an eclectic columnist, critic, novelist and agitator dedicated to music, free expression and defying the party line, died Saturday at age 91.

Schooled in the classics and the stories he heard from Duke Ellington and other jazz greats, Nat Hentoff enjoyed a diverse and iconoclastic career, basking in "the freedom to be infuriating on a myriad of subjects."

He was a bearded, scholarly figure, a kind of secular rabbi, as likely to write a column about fiddler Bob Wills as a dissection of the Patriot Act, to have his name appear in the liberal Village Voice as the far-right W***********y, where his column last appeared in August 2016.

Ellington, Charlie Parker, Malcolm X and I.F. Stone were among his friends and acquaintances. He wrote liner notes for records by Aretha Franklin, Max Roach and Ray Charles and was the first non-musician named a Jazz Master by the National Endowment of the Arts. He also received honors from the American Bar Association, the National Press Foundation, and, because of his opposition to abortion, the Human Life Foundation.

Hentoff's steadiest job was with the Voice, where he worked for 50 years and wrote a popular column. He wrote for years about jazz for DownBeat and had a music column for the Wall Street Journal. His more than 25 books included works on jazz and the First Amendment, the novels "Call the Keeper" and "Blues for Charles Darwin" and the memoirs "Boston Boy" and "Speaking Freely."

As a columnist, Hentoff focused tirelessly on the Constitution and what he saw as a bipartisan mission to undermine it. He tallied the crimes of Richard Nixon and labeled President Clinton's anti-terrorism legislation "an all-out assault on the Bill of Rights." He even parted from other First Amendment advocates, quitting the American Civil Liberties Union because of the ACLU's support for speech codes in schools and workplaces.

"I came here in 1958 because I wanted a place where I could write freely on anything I cared about," Hentoff wrote in his final Voice column, published in January 2009. "Over the years, my advice to new and aspiring reporters is to remember what Tom Wicker, a first-class professional spelunker, then at The New York Times, said in a tribute to Izzy Stone: 'He never lost his sense of rage.' Neither have I."

One of the truly great defenders of free speech. He'll be missed.
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
Re: Celebrity Passings 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:20:34 pm »
Another good innings...

Clare Hollingworth, the veteran British war correspondent who broke the news of the Nazi invasion of Poland, has died in Hong Kong at the age of 105.

Hollingworth, who was born in Leicester in 1911, was the first to report on the invasion that triggered the outbreak of World War Two.

She went on to report from Vietnam, Algeria and the Middle East.

Hollingworth was a rookie reporter for the Daily Telegraph when she fell upon "the scoop of the century".

It was she who spotted German forces amassed on the Polish border while travelling from Poland to Germany in 1939.

The Daily Telegraph headline read: "1,000 tanks massed on Polish border. Ten divisions reported ready for swift strike" - but it did not carry her byline, a common practice for newspapers at the time.

She scored another scoop when the Nazis launched their invasion three days later.

DrBlasphemy

• Purveyor Of Perversity
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Beware of the Bullet Club Bunny!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:21:07 pm »
William Peter Blatty, the author of "The Exorcist," has died. He was 89.

Blatty's widow, Julie, says her husband died Thursday at a hospital in Bethesda, Maryland. She says the cause of death was multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer.

Blatty was a former Jesuit school valedictorian who conjured a tale of demonic possession and gave millions the fright of their lives with the best-selling novel and Oscar-winning movie.

Blatty's story of a 12-year-old-girl inhabited by a satanic force was published in 1971 and sold more than 10 million copies. The film, starring Linda Blair, came out two years later and its box office topped $400 million worldwide.

RIP
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:22:42 pm by DrBlasphemy »
"Use all your filthy words, the greatest sound I've ever heard.
They keep my heart and soul so blown away." - Monster Magnet (Bored With Sorcery)

Former Member -now banned

• Muted
  • Posting Machine
  • oops
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:58:35 pm »
Wasn't posted a few days ago when the story came out, but figured it's still worth noting that SCTV and SNL alumni Tony Rosato passed at the age of 62.
Piss off a Moderator and watch what happens.

DanielO

• Posting Machine
  • Aly Michalka, My New Goddess.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 06:34:50 pm »
Dick Gautier, who starred in the original Broadway production of "Bye, Bye Birdie" and then played Hymie the Robot on the sitcom "Get Smart," has died, according to media reports. He was 85.

After a long illness, Gautier died Friday night at an assisted living facility in Arcadia, California.

Gautier, who started his career as a stand-up comic, played Conrad Birdie, the character based on Elvis Presley, in the original 1960 Broadway production of "Bye, Bye Birdie," starring Dick Van Dyke. Gautier went on to receive a Tony nomination for the role.

Gautier is most recognized playing Hymie the Robot on the '60s series "Get Smart." Although Gautier was only in six episodes over four seasons, it was one of the spy spoof sitcom's most popular characters.

Another bit of my childhood gone. :-( RIP
The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so Brain, but if Jimmy cracks corn, and no one cares, why does he keep doing it?

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:05:40 pm »
Damn! As I posted on the lesbian thread I had just got 'When Things Were Rotten' with Dick as Robin Hood! While short lived it was very funny. Surpring he never became as big as he should have been as he had idol good looks and of course was very funny. I will certainly miss him. RIP Dick.
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Is it possible I could catch TRL for 9th?

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway!

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

Former Member -now banned

• Muted
  • Posting Machine
  • oops
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 02:34:01 pm »
I imagine this will be cross-posted to the wrestling subforum, but Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka passed away today at the age of 73.
Piss off a Moderator and watch what happens.

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 05:17:41 pm »
Astronaut Gene Cernan, the last man on the moon, has died at the age of 82. Another American hero gone. RIP.

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:31 pm »
Veteran actor Miguel Ferrer, known for roles in Robocop, Crossing Jordan and more, has died at 61.

The actor had been playing a regular role as Granger on "NCIS Los Angeles" with fans noting his slurred words in recent episodes, spurring talk of Ferrer having a stroke in real life. In a bitter irony, the latest episode had his character seemingly stabbed to death, no word on how it will be handled.

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 05:06:29 pm »
Veteran actor Miguel Ferrer, known for roles in Robocop, Crossing Jordan and more, has died at 61.

The actor had been playing a regular role as Granger on "NCIS Los Angeles" with fans noting his slurred words in recent episodes, spurring talk of Ferrer having a stroke in real life. In a bitter irony, the latest episode had his character seemingly stabbed to death, no word on how it will be handled.

God damn. That sucks. I'd been wondering if they were going to write him off the show, since he hadn't been around much this season, but I guess this makes that decision for them. A real shame, he was a great villain (not that he played one on NCIS: LA)
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 06:22:53 pm »
He was a damn fine actor and he will be missed. RIP Miguel.

Victor

• Fan of soundtracks, cartoons, old TV shows, and fine celebrity females. Also I'm an Ox.
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • The embracers.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 09:04:31 pm »
"You are gonna be a bad motherfucker!"  :'(
"Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere just shared a joyful embrace in the middle of Hollywood Blvd." - Best bird-themed social networking post ever.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" - Hayden to me after I 'fessed up to being nervous.

"Follow my body." - Cat Valentine, "#MagicATM"

Joe

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 02:11:42 am »

It wasn't a stroke. Miguel Ferrer died of throat cancer.

Joey

InThe313

• CSSA's Official Sports Analyst
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Read "Hellcats: Season 2" now on TSSA!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 11:08:22 am »
Yordano Ventura, a hard-throwing right-hander for the Kansas City Royals, was killed in a car crash in his native Dominican Republic on Sunday, the team confirmed. He was 25.

A colonel in the Dominican Republic police told ESPN's Enrique Rojas that the crash occurred in the town of Juan Adrian.

Ventura has been with the Royals since 2013, posting a 38-31 career record with a 3.89 ERA.

Ventura was a friend of former St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Oscar Tavares, who was killed in a car crash in the Dominican Republic in 2014 at the age of 22. Days after Tavares' death, Ventura wore a cap with "RIP O.T #18" written on it for his Game 6 start of the World Series against the Giants. He threw seven shutout innings in a 10-0 win.

"From the minute that I found out about Oscar, I said this game was going to be dedicated to him," an emotional Ventura said then.

Ventura was suspended nine games this past season -- later reduced to eight games on appeal -- after he hit Orioles slugger Manny Machado in the back with a 99 mph fastball on June 7. Machado charged the mound and punched Ventura in the head as the benches emptied.

It was the second straight season that Ventura was suspended. He drew a seven-game ban in 2015 after an altercation with the White Sox.
La la la, whatever, la la la
It doesn't matter, la la la, oh well, la la la
We're going at it tonight tonight
There's a party on the rooftop top of the world
Tonight tonight and we're dancing on the edge of the Hollywood sign
I don't know if I'll make it but watch how good I'll fake it

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 01:46:59 pm »
And here we go...

Mary Tyler Moore has been confirmed dead at 80. The six-time Emmy winner was known for her roles in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and her own self-titled classic sitcom as well as movies like "Ordinary People." A truly hysterical lady who inspired so many comediannes and a damn funny actress.