Author Topic: TV & Movie Observations - We Recast You As A Hot Teenaged Girl  (Read 22956 times)

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
TV & Movie Observations - We Recast You As A Hot Teenaged Girl
« on: September 19, 2016, 10:26:45 pm »

New TV season, new thread, I figure. SPOILERAGE BELOW:

Gotham - To be fair, I didn't watch the last, like, six episodes of Gotham last year, but until Supergirl returns, Batman without Batman doesn't have any competition for my eyeball on Monday night. Despite the story jump for me, it wasn't hard at all to catch up with what was going on, and I was rather surprised by how pleased I was where most of the characters were. Selina and Ivy together, Babs and Tabs together, Bullock still Bullock, Penguin still Penguin. We're starting the third season, and Ben McKenzie STILL can't throw a convincing punch, but otherwise he was survivable. Unfortunately, even giving Fish honest-to-Bats superpowers doesn't make her interesting or compelling. Really hope Penguin offs her soon. Total waste of Jada Pinket Smith and the show's time.

Also, wow, contrived way to age-up Ivy so she could be a hottie instead of a too-young waif. I hope we get to see the new, hotter version come out of the water all wet and clingy. Mostly because I'm pervy like that. And hey, Jamie Chung is a nice potential love interest for Gordon while Morena Baccarin's off for... maternity leave? Plot reasons? The writer's inability to give her any sort of storyline? Yeah, it's that last one.

The Good Place - *sigh* I WANT to like this show. Kristen Bell on a major network has been something I've wanted since Veronica Mars went away. But they burned through two episodes of TGP tonight, and I didn't start laughing until the back half of the second episode (never a good sign). It is exactly what's on the box, and that's kind of the problem - I feel like the immediate premise is burned through in the pilot episode(s) and now it's trying to keep itself going on a very flimsy premise. The supporting cast is... well, Ted Danson remains skilled at comedy, but he and K-Bell are not going to be enough to keep this going long. The rest of the cast are paper-thin characters that seem like they might have been thought up scant minutes before the show started filming. They're clearly just there so K-Bell can get some good one-liners in, but that's not going to be enough. Well, okay, it's more than enough for shit like Big Bang Theory, but this show doesn't have CBS' comedy block to support it until it's finds a shit-tolerable audience. The name recognition should get TGP through it's first 13 episodes (especially if NBC doesn't mind burning them off back-to-back every now and then), but I'm not sure it'll get it's back 9 any time soon.   
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

Former Member -now banned

• Muted
  • Posting Machine
  • oops
Re: TV & Movie Observations - We Recast You As A Hot Teenaged Girl
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 12:29:34 am »
More spoilery stuff for Gotham...

Gotham was just a quirky mass of expository dialogue to set up the status quo for the season. And not a lot of it super-interesting. It wasn't just the Ivy stuff that was contrived. Val's introduction was... drab. They might as well have thrown her right into Gordon's bed.

And forget biding time until Fish is killed, Tabitha's still on borrowed time too. When they made it a point TWICE of having Penguin tell her how he owes her for killing his mom, I'd be amazed if she makes it through this season.
Piss off a Moderator and watch what happens.

voodoojoe

• The Minor Sixty-Niner
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I got a Moner boner
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 01:12:07 am »
TRL didn't like a show from the creator of Parks & Rec (and writer on The Office)? Color me shocked! ;)

The Good Place was a nice start, though I do wonder where they're going to go with it. The central conceit just doesn't seem to have that much mileage to it. But, as with Parks & Rec (or even something like Happy Endings), sometimes shows zag rather than zig, and go into wonderful places that never could have been predicted from the first episode or two. And seeing as how Mike Schure already has experience with that kind of thing, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I been up, I been down.
Take my word, my way around.
I ain't askin' for much.
I said, Lord, take me downtown,
I'm just lookin' for some tush.

I been bad, I been good,
Dallas, Texas, Hollywood.
I ain't askin' for much.

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »
Lucifer, continuing its wonderful fun and lovely to see the humor abounding with Tricia Helfer hot too.

Dice of Dice & Kristi

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:06:13 pm »
So.....

Where the hell was the effort that Agents of SHIELD showed tonight during all of season 3? Got a bad ass introduction for Ghost Rider, actual character development and an intriguing opening plot for the first leg of the season.
Happily Retired From Writing... Wowefa is on its own :)

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 12:45:57 am »
Think the SHIELD writers were held back trying to pack stuff about the Inhumans as set-up for a movie that is now not happening.

• Muted
  • Posting Machine
  • oops
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 01:48:48 am »
Oh man. There is a LOT to unpack with that premiere. SPOILERS...

First off, while I love jerking it to Chloe Bennet, obvious sexualization is obvious. That underwear shot in the opening scene? Really? Didn't we leave that sort of hokey gratuitous pandering back in season one? I get that they're on an hour later and trying to throw some more risque stuff in for the timeslot, but do it right.

And poor Ghost Rider. Holy shit. He's going to have to deal with Daisy AND Chris from "Fear the Walking Dead"? Fuck me, I've never been more sympathetic for a demon ever. Might be more pleasant having to interact with Zarathos or Mephisto or wherever he got his power from.

That's if he's a demon, of course. There's part of me that's still half-expecting to find out him and that ghost are the result of Terrigenesis. It's going to be a tough shift going from dealing with aliens and Inhumans for three seasons to battling the supernatural.

It's also amusing. I binge-watched 'Galavant' when it turned up on TSSTAB earlier this month, so imagine my surprise at seeing Queen Madalena as Aida. Can't wait for her to do the D'DEW.

TRL

• Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 08:38:57 am »
Oh man. There is a LOT to unpack with that premiere. SPOILERS...

First off, while I love jerking it to Chloe Bennet, obvious sexualization is obvious. That underwear shot in the opening scene? Really? Didn't we leave that sort of hokey gratuitous pandering back in season one? I get that they're on an hour later and trying to throw some more risque stuff in for the timeslot, but do it right.

Some of us missed the obvious sexualization. I'm all for the hokey gratuitous pandering brought on by the new timeslot, and hope Ming and Elizabeth get in on it, too (Ming does seem to be showing more cleavage this year).

KMB

• Master of the Harem
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Without further ado, bring out the dancing turkeys
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:09:21 am »
A new online streaming show with my adorable comic crush Kate Micucci nude and in a threesome with Malin Akerman?

I'll be in my bunk....

KMB
"It's a thousand pages, give or take a few
I'll be writing more in a week or two
I can make it longer if you like the style
I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer."

- The Beatles, Paperback Writer

Dice of Dice & Kristi

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:58:34 am »
I will admit I watched Lethal Weapon... and....

I'll say this: If you're not at all familiar with the four films, it's okay... though the guy playing Riggs is so bland that the moments of him being 'on the edge' is just laughable
Happily Retired From Writing... Wowefa is on its own :)

• Muted
  • Posting Machine
  • oops
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 01:04:36 am »
I will admit I watched Lethal Weapon... and....

I'll say this: If you're not at all familiar with the four films, it's okay... though the guy playing Riggs is so bland that the moments of him being 'on the edge' is just laughable

I passed on the show, but I cannot wait to see who they inevitably cast as Leo Getz.

TRL

• Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 01:41:18 pm »
More Thoughts on New Shows, this time without spoilers:

Everyone should be watching Pitch. Admittedly, it's a story I'm primed for anyway (first female to play in the Major Leagues is a story I've honestly played around with writing as a novel more than once), and the pilot hits ALL the classic baseball story notes I love so very much, so I'm a bit biased. And be warned, it's on Fox, so you're forced to suffer through even more Joe Buck than anyone should have to, but it's worth slogging through. The show hits the nail on the head a little hard sometimes, but it's very akin to Jackie Robinson making history when he broke the color barrier, and Pitch gets way more right than it does wrong. Like last year's Supergirl pilot, this hour could've laid off the "this is SOOOOOOO inspiring for GIRLS" schmaltz, which might turn off male viewers who are there more for the sports aspect, but hopefully, unlike Supergirl, that won't be as big a problem for the next 3-5 episodes. Kylie Bunbury is my early pick for breakout hottie of the Television series - she plays the main character with heart and conviction and I totally believe she can throw a baseball and strike guys out. She's also easy on the eyes, though most of the eyecandy work in the pilot went to Ali Larter (still delicious after all these years). There's a surprising twist towards the end of the pilot that may have already been spoiled by the interwebs before you read this, but if you haven't heard yet, watch the pilot and be impressed. For a show I originally pegged as having trouble making it past Fox's inevitable preempting for the actual World Series, I'm now hoping Pitch lasts the season.

Designated Survivor is, sadly, NOT what would happen if Jack Bauer from 24 became President of the United States but Keifer Sutherland's still worth watching, even if his character is a lot less classically heroic than Bauer was. Plot's exactly what's on the package - the rest of the US Government is killed off, low level cabinet member is suddenly thrust into the presidency, now he has to deal with everything. The pilot's decent, but could've used a second hour, since it takes pretty much the whole first hour to tell us everything I just said in the last sentence. Not that it wasn't entertaining, but I'm more interested in what happens next than the set up to this. One of my favorite books, Tom Clancy's Executive Orders covered this a couple decades ago now (ugh, I hate being old), and I'm looking forward to seeing that premise played out on TV. The eye candy here comes from the always delicious Maggie Q, the lovely Italia Ricci (who I hope still has time to come back to Supergirl as Silver Banshee at least once this season) and, depending on your POV, Natascha McElhone as Not-Bauer's mildly MILFy wife. Given more screen time, Maggie and Italia would be more than enough to keep me watching, but Sutherland and the premise are enough to get me by when the ladies aren't on the screen. 

Sex Kitten

• Posting Machine
  • Enjoying Naked Time with Charisma
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 05:09:25 pm »
Ali said on a talk show, that she'll have a racy sex scene, in the third episode. Something to look forward to. ;D

-SK
Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it's a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

Shadow

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 05:34:22 pm »
Like last year's Supergirl pilot, this hour could've laid off the "this is SOOOOOOO inspiring for GIRLS" schmaltz

I think my main complaint with the pilot was in the opening minutes. The reporter/host lady going on about how if you have a problem with it, you're a man and the "Deal with it guys, a woman is going to be the top story in sports." bit, as if that's never happened. The Williams sisters, the US women's soccer team, Danica Patrick, Katie Ledecky, etc. it's not like there aren't stars in female athletics. If they wanted to say "top story in baseball" I'd get it, but sports in general? Women have made plenty of headlines.

The pilot in general I thought was just ok, but there's potential there, much like Supergirl. Bunbury and Larter are certainly lovely to look at, the dynamic between her and her catcher could be fun and it's a solid cast all-around. I'll give it a few eps to see where it goes, especially since there's not much else on yet.

voodoojoe

• The Minor Sixty-Niner
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I got a Moner boner
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 11:14:50 pm »
Like last year's Supergirl pilot, this hour could've laid off the "this is SOOOOOOO inspiring for GIRLS" schmaltz

I think my main complaint with the pilot was in the opening minutes. The reporter/host lady going on about how if you have a problem with it, you're a man and the "Deal with it guys, a woman is going to be the top story in sports." bit, as if that's never happened. The Williams sisters, the US women's soccer team, Danica Patrick, Katie Ledecky, etc. it's not like there aren't stars in female athletics. If they wanted to say "top story in baseball" I'd get it, but sports in general? Women have made plenty of headlines.

Outside of Danica, none of them are facing men, and she's not exactly a superstar or anything (not to mention that it's racing, where you're not exactly trying to out muscle anyone or anything), so a woman playing a physical sport against men would be a big story.

And, assuming they said "biggest story in sports" rather than "sports history" or something similar, I don't see the problem with it. You don't think it would be all over ESPN or the big sports sites? All those hot takes flying around from people just looking to get eyeballs/clicks would single-handedly melt the ice caps. Skip Bayless would figure out what a sane person would say, then start screaming the exact opposite into the wind while he tries to stay relevant without ESPN's weight behind him. All those grumpy-old-man sportswriters barely clinging to jobs in the print industry would crank out column after column about how she doesn't deserve to be in the big leagues, or it's really not that big a story.
I been up, I been down.
Take my word, my way around.
I ain't askin' for much.

I been bad, I been good,
Dallas, Texas, Hollywood.
I ain't askin' for much.