Author Topic: 2016-17 college football news and notes  (Read 5989 times)

InThe313

• CSSA's Official Sports Analyst
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Read "Hellcats: Season 2" now on TSSA!
Re: 2016-17 college football news and notes
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2017, 04:17:47 pm »
Two of the hottest teams in college football are set to square off in the Grandaddy of Them All.  No. 9 USC is seeking its ninth straight win and will take on Big Ten champ No. 5 Penn State in the Rose Bowl.  Who will come out smelling fresh as a rose?  Updates to come.

UPDATE:  That was one of the best runs I've seen this season.  Penn State's Saquon Barkley tore through USC's defense and broke free for a 79-yard touchdown at the Rose Bowl.

UPDATE 2:  Where is this magic coming from?  Penn State ripped off their second spectacular play in a row as Chris Godwin made a juggling 72-yard touchdown grab.

UPDATE 3:  It's like Happy Valley has come to SoCal.  Penn State leads USC, 49-35, at the start of the fourth quarter behind Trace McSorley's five touchdowns.  Will the Nittany Lions leave with the hardware?

UPDATE 4:  What a thriller today in Pasadena!  USC upset Penn State, 52-49, in the highest-scoring Rose Bowl ever.  The Trojans' Sam Darnold had 453 passing yards and five touchdowns.  Matt Boermeester nailed a 46-yard field goal as time expired for the Trojans.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:37:53 pm by InThe313 »
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Girl I wanna yeah, yeah, yeah
I wanna see you tonight yeah, yeah, yeah
Girl I gotta yeah, yeah, yeah
I gotta see you tonight
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh
Oh oh, let me see your hands
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh
Oh oh, tonight is the night

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2017, 11:24:18 am »
The Big Ten looks like it will be even more competitive next season.  According to multiple reports, Minnesota is expected to name Western Michigan head football coach P. J. Fleck to the same position.
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I gotta see you tonight
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2017, 07:24:50 pm »
And then there will be one.  No. 1 Alabama and No. 2 Clemson are meeting in the College Football Playoff National Championship for the second straight season.  Will the Tigers be all in for revenge or will the Crimson Tide roll toward a dynasty?  Updates to come.

UPDATE:  We've got a dogfight on our hands.  Alabama leads Clemson, 14-7, at the half.  The Crimson Tide's Bo Scarbrough has 76 yards and two touchdowns and the Tigers' Deshaun Watson has 153 yards and a touchdown.

UPDATE 2:  There's just 15 minutes left to separate glory and agony.  Alabama leads Clemson, 24-14, at the start of the fourth quarter in the College Football Playoff National Championship.  Which team will be left with the gold?

UPDATE 3:  Strap in because this will be a wild finish.  Alabama leads Clemson, 24-21, with 6:33 left in the fourth quarter of the College Football Playoff National Championship.  Which team will prevail and win the title?

UPDATE 4:  This game is not for the faint of heart.  Alabama's Jalen Hurts sliced through the Clemson defense for a 30-yard touchdown to retake the lead, 31-28.

UPDATE 5:  This game and this season had it all.  Clemson upset Alabama, 35-31, in the College Football Playoff title game on Watson's touchdown to Hunter Renfrow with one second left.

UPDATE 6:  I don't blame him for being so emotional.  Clemson's Ben Boulware was fired up during the College Football Playoff trophy ceremony, saying, "It's coming home, baby!  It's coming home!"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 12:14:10 am by InThe313 »
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I gotta see you tonight
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh

voodoojoe

• The Minor Sixty-Niner
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • The Lind sisters are dirty girls
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2017, 11:22:05 pm »
Suck it, Saban! (with one second left on the clock, I'm sure I just jinxed a kickoff return touchdown into existence)
Welcome to my breakdown.
I hope I didn't scare you.
That's just the way we are when we come down.
We sweat and laugh and scream here.
'Cause life is just a dream here.
You know inside you feel right at home, here.
Yeah, Welcome to my nightmare yeah, hey, hey, hey...

InThe313

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2017, 02:19:05 pm »
I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but it was inevitable, so thanks for the memories.  Michigan linebacker Jabrill Peppers declared for the 2017 NFL draft.  The expected first-round pick finished fifth in Heisman voting.
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I gotta see you tonight
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh
Oh oh, oh whoa oh oh

zeusaphone

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Back up in your ass with the resurrection
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2017, 03:50:56 pm »
These games are too long.  I went to bed at the end of the third quarter, because the game had already been going three hours and 15 minutes and I had to get up the next morning.  Expecting people on the East coast to stay up until 1 AM to see the end of a game isn't realistic.
However do you want me?
However do you need me?

Anynom

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2017, 02:35:52 pm »
A late note on this. Ara Parseghian, the coach who helped make Notre Dame a powerhouse again, has died at 94. Taking over when the program was in bad shape, Ara got the Fighting Irish back into major form. In his 11 seasons (1964 through 1974), his teams won 95 games, lost 17 and tied four, for a .836 winning percentage. His 1966 and 1973 teams were voted national champions. A sad loss to one of the true greats whose name is still revered in South Bend.