Author Topic: Just a few questions...  (Read 3384 times)

Dice of Dice & Kristi

• Author
  • Posting Machine
Just a few questions...
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:57:08 am »
Since there is one hell of a difference audience between T-S-S-A and WOWEFA readers, I had a couple of questions.

1. Is it best to stick with the 'main' characters of a program / game / comic book, or better to go beyond that and use secondary / one shot characters from the franchise's established canon?

2. Related to the above question: How much exposition is recommend to help the reader to place a story within a shows / comics / games timeline?

3. What is the guideline on using 'expanded universe' media, for example novels as inspiration for a fic?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:05:55 am by Dice of Dice & Kristi »
Moving on but still doing what I'm doing

TRL

• Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • I'll put something here someday.
Re: Just a few questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:39:56 am »
Since there is one hell of a difference audience between T-S-S-A and WOWEFA readers, I had a couple of questions.

1. Is it best to stick with the 'main' characters of a program / game / comic book, or better to go beyond that and use secondary / one shot characters from the franchise's established canon?

Define better? If the sex gets hotter with more characters, throw them in. If they weigh everything down, leave 'em out.
2. Related to the above question: How much exposition is recommend to help the reader to place a story within a shows / comics / games timeline?

I, personally, love exposition, especially if it's interesting and relates to the characters and why they're suddenly all giant lesbian sluts. I get the feeling, however, that I'm in a rather small minority. If you're digging deep into established but minor cannon, a LITTLE background into who a character is might be help just to refresh the minds of fans of a series. But doing a line-for-line rehash of the one episode they appeared in for only two minutes is going too far. It's more of a judgement call, really.

3. What is the guideline on using 'expanded universe' media, for example novels as inspiration for a fic?

There really isn't a guideline. Look at what 313 and I did with Hellcats: Season 2 - we practically tripled the size of the cast with completely new characters, and so far, no one's bat an eyelash at that decision. Of course, 90% of those characters are hot babes based on hot actresses, so we aren't exactly getting too out-there from our target demographic.

TL;DR version, if the story is good and the sex is hot, no one's going to bitch about you using EU characters or even making up your own. If the story sucks and the sex is wham-bam-no-thank-you-ma'am, then people are probably just not going to read it anyway.
Is it Dec 2019 yet? (GAH SO FAR AWAY!)

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:49:46 pm »
I don't think there's any hard and fast answers for those questions

I've used characters from other shows in some stories and others who just appeared in an episode or two; as long as the story works and again for expanded universes, bring them in if wanted... My only comment would is that the more peripheral the character to the show, the less likely people are to remember recognise them, which brings me to exposition...

I don't like exposition as info dump (eg Buffy was a sixteen year old cheerleader who lives in Sunnydale with her divorced Mom); I know that already or I wouldn't be reading. However good stories do link to their TV counterparts; the characters speak like the shows, they have similar characters (even if they're more likely to lesbian nymphos in the stories) and you probably want the atmosphere and have references and links to the show (Buffy said, "I'm going through a total dry spell, the Inca Mummy Girl got more action than me"). At the end of the day I'm not reading a sex story about some random characters the writer has made up, but about some characters in a TV show...

But then I and go and break half these rules...  ;) so do what you like, and how you like as, to misquote Field of Dreams, 'Write it and they will cum'

Dice of Dice & Kristi

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:23:39 pm »
Hmmmm.... seems like based on what you said and seeing your work... that the T-S-S-A audience is in more favor of using characters that are in the starring roles of whatever show something is based on, cause I really don't see myself trying to do something with characters that have heavy established canon and rabid fan bases.

Guess I stick to what I do not so well over at Wowefa  8)

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:48:24 pm »
I was more hoping my message was do what you want to do... ;D

Also I've done entire series based on secondary characters (Faith Lehane and Lane Kim) and whilst it's hard to tell from the limited feedback I've got I assume people have read and enjoyed them.

Dice of Dice & Kristi

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:27:22 pm »
I did get that with what you said, but I was looking at what you and what TRL said.

Vicki

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Deranged and dangerously seductive!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 07:30:36 pm »
IMHO it would all depend on how well known secondary or EU characters are. Everyone pretty
All women are lesbians at heart, my ongoing mission, to prove it.

Sanity is over-rated, but I never believed in it anyway. 

I'll make that top 10 posters list yet! :D

I can look at myself NAKED!

Founder of the Lesbian Lover's of the Multiverse

Dice of Dice & Kristi

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:02:52 pm »
Which is why I had the question about how much exposition to include.

Way out of my depth with the T-S-S-A side of things lol Kudos to those who can wrap their brains around it

JayDee

• Posting Machine
  • Empty Quarter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 12:11:11 am »
Write the characters you want to see, nevermind what anyone else thinks.

onlyme

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:07:10 am »
I personally enjoy reading about some of the minor characters.
I would love to see stories about Dawsons mom from Dawsons Creek, Darla from Buffy or Deb Scott   from One Tree Hill.

slip

• Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Founder of the B.O.M.B
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 07:34:57 am »
Felicia Day (Buffy), Willa Holland (The OC), and Torrey Devitto (Pretty Little Liars) are 3 or my biggest fantasies right now. All minor characters that my favorite one of my author LL has written about. They got on my radar specifically because he wrote about them.
Brotherhood
Of
Michelle
Branch

VOTE!!!!!! Vote in the  12th Annual CSSA Hot 100!!! Voting starts tonight at midnight

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 12:49:35 pm »
and if I ever get my arse out of gear I've got plans for Vi in another Buffy story, as well as iuncluding Dawn's old friend Janice

Dice of Dice & Kristi

• Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:04:39 pm »
Thanks for the various responses, I probably won't send further stuff to T-S-S-A in the future since what I'll end up writing certainly won't end up exactly fitting with what I ideas I have.

Thanks again...

And back to the Wowefa Hole I go  ;D