Author Topic: 2013 CSSA Hot 100 Discussion  (Read 15654 times)

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
Re: 2013 CSSA Hot 100 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 03:02:21 pm »
I can't see what's wrong with a bit of tactical voting, if anything it adds to gaiety of the boards

Former Member -now banned

• Muted
  • Posting Machine
  • oops
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:35 pm »
I think you're thinking of FHM - though the only difference between the two these days is just that FHM is Brittish and Maxim is American, and neither can make a top 100 list to save their lives.

Truthfully, I'd say this mentality of the CSSA list being superior to others is wildly misplaced at best. This isn't saying that other "hot chick" lists are better, but I'd really say that this list is just as inherently flawed as the others. One of those flaws being the absence of certain women like Katy Perry, who would normally rank fairly high on those lists, or get included at the very least. Though the failure to even make the list is probably because there's not exactly a massive voting turnout for these.

And in all honesty, the tactical voting here is sort of a little shady, but I personally can't frown on it since it is the only way certain girls from cult hit shows I know I enjoy would manage to continue appearing on this list, even pretty high in some cases. Really now, does anyone here think SMG and Eliza Dushku would manage to place in the top 25 this long after Buffy ended if there wasn't some degree of voter coordination going on?

To be fair though, one of the areas this list has over others is that there's a higher level of honesty in terms of sexuality. Or in other words: Jailbait is perfectly acceptable on this list. No major publication is gonna be able to get away with including names like Ariel Winter, Chloe Moretz, Maisie Williams or Bella Thorne on a list of women being sexually objectified.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:35:11 pm by Royboy »
Piss off a Moderator and watch what happens.

slip

• Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Founder of the B.O.M.B
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 09:03:16 pm »
The strategic voting usual decides the difference between 1 or 2 ranking positions at most. Who makes the list is entirely in coordinated. The fact that SMG and Eliza are so high is plainly because their is a lot of members whom love those women. I've been in the community for well over 15 years and SMG has always been a top favorite of mine, and will continue to be as long as I love Buffy. And with Stories like the ones LL and MTL put out I imagine a lot of members will feel the same.
Brotherhood
Of
Michelle
Branch

VOTE!!!!!! Vote in the  12th Annual CSSA Hot 100!!! Voting starts tonight at midnight

LL

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Line up for fun!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:17:24 am »
The strategic voting usual decides the difference between 1 or 2 ranking positions at most. Who makes the list is entirely in coordinated. The fact that SMG and Eliza are so high is plainly because their is a lot of members whom love those women. I've been in the community for well over 15 years and SMG has always been a top favorite of mine, and will continue to be as long as I love Buffy. And with Stories like the ones LL and MTL put out I imagine a lot of members will feel the same.

Thanks for the kind words, and I've got to agree. Buffy just made top of the TSSA list (and usually hovers high up) and the show is the only one popular to have its own section. And with three inductees in the Hall of Fame you can see the stars are popular with CSSA readers as well

Evil

• Evil at Law
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 04:14:10 am »
I think the actresses themselves are campaigning as well. Case in point: Alison Brie from Marc Maron's podcast:

Some excerpts:

"My college was clothing optional except the cafeteria"

"I would put on tennis shoes and nothing else and go running."

"I always had a weird naked instinct."

And the kicker:

"I know there's gotta be naked photos of me somewhere."

She's a tease, we all love her for it and I'm sure this little teaser will rocket her up the rankings.
"It's no mystery that ass has always been tits greatest enemy." - Kenny Powers

Just Plain Tricky

• Tortoise... or a cat.
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Semi-Heroic Sociopath
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 04:31:40 pm »
PMing the votes won't stop strategic voting.  The only effect will be to make it more random as people move their votes around as they think will work.  I myself don't engage in it and don't like it but I also don't fool myself that it can be stopped.
"Can't shake hands with the Devil and say you're only kidding"

"Your Racist Friend"
--They Might Be Giants

slip

• Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Founder of the B.O.M.B
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 09:25:27 pm »
Strategic voting usually only effects the difference between say a 19th place and a 20th place spot between actress A and Singer B. So if enough votes come in secret it'll be less likely that people will change their vote to slide their choice up or someone else's down. It's not perfect but no voting system ever is.
Brotherhood
Of
Michelle
Branch

VOTE!!!!!! Vote in the  12th Annual CSSA Hot 100!!! Voting starts tonight at midnight

Victor

• Fan of soundtracks, cartoons, old TV shows, and fine celebrity females. Also I'm an Ox.
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • The embracers.
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 05:29:50 am »
I think you're thinking of FHM - though the only difference between the two these days is just that FHM is Brittish and Maxim is American, and neither can make a top 100 list to save their lives.

FHM actually has various lists depending on which edition it is (which is why the original FHM's claim that theirs is the only one from people all over the world is more full of crap than A Good Day To Die Hard - is Michelle Keegan really more popular than Scarlett Johansson internationally?), but otherwise what he said.
"Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere just shared a joyful embrace in the middle of Hollywood Blvd." - Best bird-themed social networking post ever.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" - Hayden to me after I 'fessed up to being nervous.

"Follow my body." - Cat Valentine, "#MagicATM"

Victor

• Fan of soundtracks, cartoons, old TV shows, and fine celebrity females. Also I'm an Ox.
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • The embracers.
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 05:31:11 am »
No major publication is gonna be able to get away with including names like Ariel Winter, Chloe Moretz, Maisie Williams or Bella Thorne on a list of women being sexually objectified.

On a worldwide basis the list of publications that can get away with Chloe now is a bit shorter, since she's 16 (as will Bella be in October).
"Emma Roberts and Hayden Panettiere just shared a joyful embrace in the middle of Hollywood Blvd." - Best bird-themed social networking post ever.

"That wasn't so hard, was it?" - Hayden to me after I 'fessed up to being nervous.

"Follow my body." - Cat Valentine, "#MagicATM"

Just Plain Tricky

• Tortoise... or a cat.
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Semi-Heroic Sociopath
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 03:40:52 pm »
Don't you mean abit longer?  And Maisie is also 16 now.

"Your Racist Friend"
--They Might Be Giants

Just Plain Tricky

• Tortoise... or a cat.
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Semi-Heroic Sociopath
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2013, 06:20:33 am »
Am replying to TSL here to the post he shouldn't have put on the votes only thread:

AFAIK:  That was only proposed, I don't believe most people took the proposal or the problem that seriously.

"Your Racist Friend"
--They Might Be Giants

The Squad Leader

• Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Isn't she the sexiest girl ever?
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2013, 01:14:54 pm »
Am replying to TSL here to the post he shouldn't have put on the votes only thread:

AFAIK:  That was only proposed, I don't believe most people took the proposal or the problem that seriously.

I was under the opposite impression. Half and half won't work I don't believe.

No biggie, but I'm washing my hands of it.

TSL
Paradise, has it's hunter
Call me blind, call me fool
I don't mind chasing thunder
I say reaching for heaven is what I'm on Earth to do

-Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Dear Believer

slip

• Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Founder of the B.O.M.B
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 01:26:57 pm »
Strategic voting is usually only the difference between one or  two spots. So changing your vote to move someone up or down is pointless when there will be I'd say at least 10 votes that the person changing there votes didn't count on.

Sorry for any confusion I'm usually up 4 hours later then my bedtime when I start the voting thread.
Brotherhood
Of
Michelle
Branch

zeusaphone

• Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Back up in your ass with the resurrection
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »
Vote in

I'm setting the over/under for women on my list who will appear on any other lists at 3.5.
However do you want me?
However do you need me?

KMB

• Master of the Harem
  • Global Moderator
  • Posting Machine
  • Without further ado, bring out the dancing turkeys
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 06:57:57 am »
Vote in

I'm setting the over/under for women on my list who will appear on any other lists at 3.5.

Excellent I look forward to hearing you moan about that again (j/k)  ;D

Btw, I know our buddy Hater isn't fond of the rules (see what I did there?) but he does appear to have put Dania Ramirez on twice...not that she isn't damn worthy though  :P

KMB
"It's a thousand pages, give or take a few
I'll be writing more in a week or two
I can make it longer if you like the style
I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer."

- The Beatles, Paperback Writer