Author Topic: NBA star and activist Manute Bol dies  (Read 406 times)

InThe313

• CSSA's Official Sports Analyst
  • Author
  • Posting Machine
  • Read "Hellcats: Season 2" now on TSSA!
NBA star and activist Manute Bol dies
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:05:50 pm »
Manute Bol, a former professional basketball star and humanitarian has died, according to The Washington Post. He was 47.

Bol died Saturday at the University of Virginia Medical Center after suffering internal bleeding and other complications from Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, a rare skin disease, his cousin told the Post. He had suffered kidney failure on his way back to the U.S. from his native Sudan on May 12, according to a message written on his ******** page.

Standing at 7 feet, 7 inches tall, Bol remains the second-tallest player in National Basketball Association history. During his ten years in the NBA, he played with the Washington Bullets, the Golden State Warriors, the Phildelphia 76ers and the Miami Heat.

Following his retirement from basketball, Bol became an activist focused on improving the lives of other Sudan natives. He tried to promote peace in the war-torn nation through both frequent visits to local refugee camps and the creation of the Sundan Sunrise foundation.

Well, he had a good NBA career (and how many players can say they've had 15 blocks in a game, TWICE).  But Bol has done more in his life than have a legacy in the NBA.  He left Sudan for a better life here, and worked into improve the quality of living in his homeland.  Surely, he is one of the NBA's most selfless players, at least off the court.  RIP Manute.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:12:10 pm by InThe313 »
I'm coming home
I'm coming home
Tell the world I'm coming home
Let the rain wash away all the pain of yesterday
I know my kingdom awaits and they've forgiven my mistakes
I'm coming home, I'm coming home
Tell the world I'm coming... home